Need help and advice with studio lighting

Do you even know how to use flash?

The cheap stuff like Cowboy Studio is a total waste of time.. as is continuous lighting of any sort (unless you spend some real money on it)

eek.gif

$200 lighting budget?

2 decent light stands and modifiers will cost more than that. Not to mention triggers and maybe a few lights
iconhammer.gif

Oh and i forgot studio lighting and studio lighting advanced classes or such

The cheapest you could buy decent gear would be around $450!!! (and that is just two lights, and gear.. no backgrounds or stands)! $200.... NO WAY! You could only buy junk at that price... and with Junk, the chances of you being able to do a decent job drop drastically. I suspect that even with good gear, you lack the knowledge and experience to be able to pull this off... just based on the questions you ask!

$200 bux or natural light for pro grade photos. No wonder everyone is a photographer
badteeth.gif

I'd say... find another job. If they are giving you a $200 budget to buy equipment for something like that, then I can only imagine how much they've devalued the work and skill that goes in afterwards.

wow. i am seriously sad for joining this forum....who knew people could be so rude, cgipson1, and 2wheelphoto....
thought I could get some real advice. i own about $10,000 in canon equipment, but like i said, shoot strictly in natural light.
It is true, I don't know much about lighting, that is why I came here asking.
I am working on a very strict budget for this particular job, came about it because of a referral. Hoping to help out this start up company.

That WAS real advice! Not trying to be rude.. just pointing out the facts! You cannot buy decent gear to do this.. for $200. And it is obvious you know very little about lighting... based on your question, so how are you possibly going to do this with any level of competency? (especially with minimal gear?)

And we see questions like this all the time... from "PRO's" that only shoot "Natural light" (when they mean ambient light.. since ALL light is natural!).

wow. i am seriously sad for joining this forum....who knew people could be so rude, cgipson1, and 2wheelphoto....
thought I could get some real advice. i own about $10,000 in canon equipment, but like i said, shoot strictly in natural light.
It is true, I don't know much about lighting, that is why I came here asking.
I am working on a very strict budget for this particular job, came about it because of a referral. Hoping to help out this start up company.

Not trying to be rude.. just pointing out the facts! You cannot buy decent gear to do this.. for $200. And it is obvious you know very little about lighting... based on your question, so how are you possibly going to do this with any level of competency? (especially with minimal gear?)

Didn't come to argue, just thought a fellow photog could point me in the right direction for a start in equipment. It doesn't have to be high end, just workable.
Lots of kits out there, thought that might be a way to start, need recommendations for which one could work.
Everyone starts somewhere....you did, too.

My point was that you CANNOT do this decently for $200.00!

Adorama flashpoint 320's are $100 each (cheapest light I would recommend) You could get some speedlight cheaper... but they would be much more difficult to use, especially with little experience. Stands... $50 each.. umbrellas and adapters... decent ones... another $100... so maybe $400 minimum!

But you still have to know how to use them!

Didn't come to argue, just thought a fellow photog could point me in the right direction for a start in equipment. It doesn't have to be high end, just workable.
Lots of kits out there, thought that might be a way to start, need recommendations for which one could work.
Everyone starts somewhere....you did, too.

My point was that you CANNOT do this decently for $200.00!

Adorama flashpoint 320's are $100 each (cheapest light I would recommend) You could get some speedlight cheaper... but they would be much more difficult to use, especially with little experience. Stands... $50 each.. umbrellas and adapters... decent ones... another $100... so maybe $400 minimum!

But you still have to know how to use them!

I'm aware of that.

So why do you accuse me of being rude? Both here and in PM's? Trust me.. you have not seen rude! This is one of the reasons I normally refuse to even try to help people like yourself.

Most reactions

Back