Need help ASAP 70-200VR

cszakolczai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just picked up a 70-200VR lens, I love it, and it seems to work ok, but I just shook the lens, and the lens rattles. Like there is significant movement in the lens. I've heard that the shake is actually the VR servo's not being electrified or whatever the term was. I just want to double check with anyone who may have this lens. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Chris

I have not shook mine recently, but if the optics are sharp and the VR is working, don't worry about it. Just Go Shoot

well heres a test shot with the 70-200VR

VR is on
F/3.5
ISO 200
@200mm

is this image soft?
66.jpg

Another...
ISO 100
F/4
1/60th
@200mm

It still seems kind of soft to me
4-2.jpg

Well they may look a bit soft but that may be due to settings 1/60 is sorta slow and may allow for some movement. I have the Sigma version and it does not rattle but then again it does not have VR. If you got it at a local store, take it back and see what they say.

Well they may look a bit soft but that may be due to settings 1/60 is sorta slow and may allow for some movement. I have the Sigma version and it does not rattle but then again it does not have VR. If you got it at a local store, take it back and see what they say.

I think I just need to take a couple of real shots with it as opposed to the stop sign. I agree 1/60 is kind of slow. I think I'm just being a little paranoid about the lens due to the fact I spent so much on it. Also I put a UV filter on it and it and the lens seems to work much better without the UV filter.

1/100
F3.5
102mm

100thF3.jpg

1/100
F3.5
70mm
100thF370.jpg

This lens just cost me all of my savings, and my mom threw in some money ontop of it to help me pay for it. (I'm a broke college student)
so I want to make sure that everything seems ok, even though I'm probably annoying as hell.

I've read something (it even may be in the lens manual)... that funny sounds can happen if you turn off the camera while VR is in progress... I think it also mentions the noise won't affect optical quality...

you may not have turned your camera off mid focus.. but may the person who bought it before you did... and they brought it back to swap copies..

I was shooting with a 70-200 vr the other day.... it wasn't making any predominant noises when I mounted/dismounted it.. I didn't shake or anything because... well... it wasn't mine..

If I were you... I'd take it back to the dealer and see if you can swap for another copy... or at least shake another copy to see if the sound is identical...

i know where your coming from.... i wouldn't accept anything less than perfection when putting out the dough for Nikons pro series lens...

I've read something (it even may be in the lens manual)... that funny sounds can happen if you turn off the camera while VR is in progress... I think it also mentions the noise won't affect optical quality...

you may not have turned your camera off mid focus.. but may the person who bought it before you did... and they brought it back to swap copies..

I was shooting with a 70-200 vr the other day.... it wasn't making any predominant noises when I mounted/dismounted it.. I didn't shake or anything because... well... it wasn't mine..

If I were you... I'd take it back to the dealer and see if you can swap for another copy... or at least shake another copy to see if the sound is identical...

i know where your coming from.... i wouldn't accept anything less than perfection when putting out the dough for Nikons pro series lens...

I've been doing some reading, and it says that the VR servo's actually do "rattle" when the lens is not on a camera... thats fine to me, I understand that, because I took my 18-200VR as well and shook it gently and I heard the same little "rattle" but to a less of a degree, and rightfully so seeing as how the 70-200VR is much larger than the 18-200VR so I wouldn't doubt if the 70-200VR servo's are much larger. My main concern is the sharpness of the images now. They seem to be ok, but I just went through my typical gitters about dropping so much money on a lens and making sure it was perfect.

Just to update this for fun... I discovered a problem after all. The VR servo's aren't working properly. They turn on sometimes and other times they actually shift causing the lens to shift focus.

Take it back!

PS. Wish I had the money for the Nikon Version:) Actually I would like the 17-55 now:)

Take it back!

PS. Wish I had the money for the Nikon Version:) Actually I would like the 17-55 now:)

Well I'm broke now for this lens and now I have to return it. Really unfortunate but hey, I guess this stuff happens.

heres a video of the rattle i am talking about... maybe someone can tell me if this is normal or not... i really don't think it is. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMso_21FRCs[/ame]

Sounds like a Bar Mixer. Looks like you'll have to swap it. I assume it's got a warranty, right?

OMG, mine duoes NOT do that... just hearing that made me cringe!

Take it back!

Actually, the Nikkor version was beaten out in 3 photography magazine shootouts by the vernerable Sigma 18-50 DC EX F/2.8 HSM. Save yourself some money there and go Sigma ;)

There are times to go Nikkor...and times not to.

OMG, mine duoes NOT do that... just hearing that made me cringe!

No kidding! As soon as the video started I said "dude that ain't right."

Good luck. I hope you get a replacement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back