Need help, asking is it a good deal or a trap?!

tiennguyen63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking for a Nikon D7000 with lens 18-105. I just found this thread on kijiji: a man sells his Nikon D7000 and 18-105 for 600$ Canadian dollar. Shutter count is JUST 1030. Bought it 2.5 years ago, mint condition.
Is that too good to be true? Should i buy the Cam and lens? Im new to photography!!
If yes then what should i pay attention when checking the Cam?!
Thanks guys! I appreciate your advise :)

Not a real bargain..... just an average going price.

If you're not familiar with DSLRs, I'd take along a friend who is when you go to check it out.

I think it is pretty cheap. 600 CAD is just 450 usd included the 18-105! Also he bought it 2.5 years but the shutter count is just 1030 which is very low!

As a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Start by asking the person why they are selling it, and for the serial numbers of the lens & body. Call your local RCMP and see if they come up on the their hot sheet. Assuming that's all good, then suggest a meeting at a local coffee shop or similar. If the vendor says anything about the camera being somewhere else, or asking for a wire transfer payment, WALK AWAY.

Assuming it passes those tests, ensure that you've already at least skimmed through the manual (available on Nikon.ca) so that you can test the basic functionality. Look at the exterior carefully; if it's banged, scraped, etc, it's probalby been treated roughly. Walk away. Bring a memory card and do a series of test images check all modes. Does it focus correctly? Are the exposures correct? Is the lens clean? ....

There's a lot to check, but chances are if it's clean and operating and the seller isn't sketchy, it will be all right. That price sounds good, but not crazy good.

.....Bring a memory card and do a series of test images............

Bringing a laptop can aid in this, as well as verify the shutter count.

Thank you tirediron and sparky!!
Im so worry of being cheated :)) because this is the first time i buy a Cam :(( i will meet up with him 2:30 this Sunday at Yonge and Finch starbucks!
Any nice guys can go with meee :((

A laptop will help because you can really truly see the image. Far better than on the camera's itty-bitty teeny monitor. You can check for a soft lens by looking at the corners of the image. You can also find misaligned elements if you know what to look for.

And with the right software, you can verify the shutter count with an image YOU took.

But the best thing you can take is someone who knows DSLRs, especially Nikons.

And don't forget to take your bargaining hat.

A laptop will help because you can really truly see the image. Far better than on the camera's itty-bitty teeny monitor. You can check for a soft lens by looking at the corners of the image. You can also find misaligned elements if you know what to look for.

And with the right software, you can verify the shutter count with an image YOU took.

But the best thing you can take is someone who knows DSLRs, especially Nikons.

And don't forget to take your bargaining hat.
I will research more about that before Sunday :(( im just an international student so i dont have any friend who knows a lot about DSLR

If you're not familiar with cameras, it's better to go to a shop
and buy a new one, that fits your budget.
Rudi

looking at the price of the 7000 and that lens brand new on amazon, that sounds like a fair price for a used one.

the d7000 and that lens should be a great starter kit. better than what allot of people stat out with.

take photos with the camera, in auto mode if you are not familiar with using manual mode, make sure all the dials and buttons are working on the camera, make sure you are not seeing any thing funny on the images like dust spots or what not, make sure the image is in focus, this is where the lap top would help and there are websites where you can upload a photo that you take and it will show you the shutter count of the camera to make sure he gave you a true reading.. make sure the lens comes on and off easily, take a good look at the glass on the lens to make sure its not scratched up or anything. make sure it focuses quick on your subject and its not hunting all over the place to gain focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back