Need help choosing a CP filter

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok! I have read a few threads about filters and stuff in this forum and some people in here have claimed that the Pro series of Hoya filters are pretty good. So now I am looking for a circular polarizer for my Sigma 10-20 lens and I've found those two filters at the local camera store.

B+W 77mm CP

Hoya 77mm Pro 1D cp

So I am kinda wondering if it really is worth spending the extra 100 bucks to get the B+W filter or is the Hoya filter as good as some of the members in here claimed?

I have the B&W myself. It has a pretty thick ring to it. It may vinette on the 10-20?? B&W does make a slim version (doesn't have threads to stack other filters on top of it, to make it thinner).

The Hoya says it has a slim design. And going by the pic does seem a bit thinner. It is also multi-coated so its probably a decent filter.

B&W is made by Schneider, Hoya is a division with Tokina lens.

With your 2 choices listed from your local store. I would go with the Hoya since its thinner.

you can trust hoya, and if youre using a wide lens youll probably want the pro-1d filter, theyre thinner so there's less or no vig

B&W is a British audio company. B+W is the German glass company.

In this case I would say the Hoya. The Sigma 10-20 does need a very thin filter to work.
Often people recommend a B+W because they came from a cheap Hoya background. The reality is I have not seen any performance benefit of any B+W filters over the top of the line Hoyas. That said avoid the cheap Hoya standard filters at all cost. Their filters aren't coated and in the case of the circular polariser it actually bleeds colours (especially red).

I have a Hoya Pro1D CPL that I picked of eBay and I highly recommend it.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

B&W is a British audio company. B+W is the German glass company.

In this case I would say the Hoya. The Sigma 10-20 does need a very thin filter to work.
Often people recommend a B+W because they came from a cheap Hoya background. The reality is I have not seen any performance benefit of any B+W filters over the top of the line Hoyas. That said avoid the cheap Hoya standard filters at all cost. Their filters aren't coated and in the case of the circular polariser it actually bleeds colours (especially red).

I have a Hoya Pro1D CPL that I picked of eBay and I highly recommend it.

I didn't even know that B+W is German lol. Well I have been using a Hoya HMC Super filter on my walk around lens for awhile now and I am pretty satisfied with it. I think the first lesson I learned when buying photography equipment is to avoid very cheap stuff especially after I bought an extremely cheap Sigma telephoto lens that didn't even work on my DSLR -.- Anyway! Thanks so much for the advice, Garbz

Most reactions

Back