Need help choosing a digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bhpizza, Jun 6, 2007.

1. bhpizza

bhpizza TPF Noob!

Hello all. I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm lost. Let me tell you what I'm looking for and maybe somebody can suggest a good one. First off, I need it to shoot video with sound. I do some autocross racing so I will be mounting it in my car to videotape my races for later review. The other major thing that I'll be using it for is taking pictures of my car. This camera will of course be used to take pictures of many other things but the biggest things that I'll need it for are nice pictures of my car and videotaping my races. One of the problems that I'm running into is finding a camera that does video with sound. Most of the cameras that I've looked at advertise video capability but don't say anything about recording sound. My current camera, (an HP something or another), does video but no sound. I'd also like a camera that accepts normal SD memory cards so I'm not having to shell out serious dough for brand-specific memory sticks. Any suggestions?

2. YellowBay

YellowBay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The Fuji Bridge cameras all do sound with video. I had the S7000 and it was a brilliant camera. Reasonably good for video too.

3. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon S3-IS can be had for cheap. Obviously the video isn't going to be as good as an actual video camera. . .but it'll get the job done.

4. p nut

p nut TPF Noob!

My S3 IS actually has pretty good video quality. It's a bit bigger and has a plastic tripod mount (bleck), so may not be the best candidate for an in-car video mount. But if you can rig it up, the video quality wouldn't be bad at all. Plus, it records in stereo.

But, I think you are just looking for too much in a camera. You just need to get a decent video camera (you can get them for pretty cheap), and a nice P&S or DSLR. If you need a good zoom for a P&S camera, I would highly recommend the Canon S3 IS (12x zoom). I love mine.

5. bhpizza

bhpizza TPF Noob!

Thanks for the input all. I don't need really great quality video BTW. A lot of people I autocross with use digital cameras to film their laps with good results. I'm going to check out that Canon. Any thoughts on the Sony Cybershot DSC-100?

Edit: Okay, I checked out the S3-IS, found it on eBay and a few other sites but not on Canon's website. They did have the S5-IS, is that possibly the replacement for the S3?

6. p nut

p nut TPF Noob!

Yes, the S5 IS is the replacement for the S3 IS. I got my S3 IS for $300, while the S5 IS is supposed to be $500. It does have a bigger LCD, Digic III, etc., but the upgrades aren't worth $200 to me. Only thing I'd be worried about would be the plastic tripod mount, which is where you'd probably be hooking up your in-car mount. The camera isn't exactly compact or light (compared to other P&S), so that might crack or give with the car thrashing around. (I used to auto-x an Integra Type R, so I know how it goes).

Oh, I got my S3 IS on Circuitcity.com. Bought it online and picked it up at the store. I don't trust eBay due to some of the gray market cameras on there. I'd rather get it from a reputable store. Besides, the prices weren't that much different. Got my 2GB high speed card from newegg for $25 shipped, too.