Need help choosing a filter

Nakz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an automotive photographer and go to many different events and such and photograph many cars. Recently I've read that getting a good ND filter will make the reflections/glass look better on cars and not as distracting. Have any of you had experience with one, and if so do you recommend any specific filters to get? I plan on using it on my Sigma 17-50mm (77mm) on my D3200. Thanks!

I am an automotive photographer and go to many different events and such and photograph many cars. Recently I've read that getting a good ND filter will make the reflections/glass look better on cars and not as distracting. Have any of you had experience with one, and if so do you recommend any specific filters to get? I plan on using it on my Sigma 17-50mm (77mm) on my D3200. Thanks!

I don't shoot a lot of automotive, so maybe someone who does can chime in with more advice.

Anyhow, I haven't heard or used a ND filter for such photography but this doesn't mean automotive photographers don't, it's that I haven't. This info is also more for the car show photographer. The only filter that comes to mind would be a polarizer if you're shooting during the day where the sun is over head. This will help reduce glare on the vehicles and make the sky more blue. Another thing I would suggest is shooting F/16 - F/22. You really should be shooting F/16 during the day anyhow as per the Sunny 16 rule but another reason for shooting F/16 or smaller aperture is to get a starburst shape from the sun vs a splattered or blurred look.

How to Create a Starburst Effect in Photographs

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A circular poloarizer is all you really need for cars--something you should already know?!

I use B+W Circular Polarizers (not all the time) for car shows. I guess it really depends how bright it is outside.

They come in a variety of flavors and prices. From a $88 Single Coating --> B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer SC Filter 65-1065310
to a $120 Multi Coated --> B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Filter 66-044844
to $270 all the bells and whistles --> B + W 77mm EW Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter 66-016520

here's a list of the ones available --> B+W 77mm Circular : Buy or Learn at Adorama

one other thing to think about. If you shoot alot at 17mm you'll want to get THIN filters to minimize vignetting, which, ironically, cost more.

There are other brands, such as: Heliopan, Lee, Nikon, Canon and other ones that may cost less or more -> Polarizing Filters | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama Polarizer filter

funny . there's one there whose brand is "Moose" ... the names they come up with!!

FYI ... you can buy then from a variety of vendors such as Amazon, Adorama, B&H PHotography, Midwest Photo, etc ... I simple showed Adorama because I've gotten filters from them before.

A circular poloarizer is all you really need for cars--something you should already know?!

A friend of mine actually recommended I use an ND filter because he uses one on his D5100 and gets good results, but I'll also look into a circular polarizer.

I use B+W Circular Polarizers (not all the time) for car shows. I guess it really depends how bright it is outside.

They come in a variety of flavors and prices. From a $88 Single Coating --> B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer SC Filter 65-1065310
to a $120 Multi Coated --> B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Filter 66-044844
to $270 all the bells and whistles --> B + W 77mm EW Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter 66-016520

here's a list of the ones available --> B+W 77mm Circular : Buy or Learn at Adorama

one other thing to think about. If you shoot alot at 17mm you'll want to get THIN filters to minimize vignetting, which, ironically, cost more.

There are other brands, such as: Heliopan, Lee, Nikon, Canon and other ones that may cost less or more -> Polarizing Filters | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama Polarizer filter

funny . there's one there whose brand is "Moose" ... the names they come up with!!

FYI ... you can buy then from a variety of vendors such as Amazon, Adorama, B&H PHotography, Midwest Photo, etc ... I simple showed Adorama because I've gotten filters from them before.

Thank you for elaborating and giving me a good explanation!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back