need help choosing

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cinaibur, Nov 26, 2007.

1. cinaibur

cinaibur TPF Noob!

Hey everyone! First off, I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Tim, and I'm a 19 year old college student in TN. Due to one of my friends, I have decided to take the leap and buy my first camera and give amateur photography. My father is a journalist, so I have always had a fascination with photojournalism. I am also interested in landscape photography. Now that I have that out of the way.... I'm in the market for a DSLR. I have been looking at the Nikon d40/d40x and Canon xt/xti. I apologize for bringing this debate back up. I frequent several forums and even help run a few, so I know how frustrating it is to see the same thread pop up everyday. I have searched, I have read everything I can get my hands on, but I still can't decided. I have decided that I don't want the Canon xt. The reason I'm so frustrated is because I though that I had decided on the Rebel xti, then I saw this:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD40KT2

I would really like to have the extra lens from the get-go. I am going out of town the first week of January and I am taking which ever camera I buy with me. I will be taking photos of people and landscape shots in the mountains. I guess my question is should I spend the extra money on the Rebel xti, and will the kit lens (18-55) work for what I will be shooting out of town, or should I get the d40 kit for less money and both lenses?

PS - Has anyone bought from beachcamera.com before? Are they a good site or should I shop somewhere else?

2. BuZzZeRkEr

BuZzZeRkEr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand your conflict. Both cameras are great and it is tough to decided if your new to the DSLR world. I did extensive research and had hands on demos in both models. When test firing both models I found myself taking most of the pictures with the Nikon's. I looked at the XTI, D80, and D40x. I decided on a D40x package which included 2 VR lenses (50 mm wide angle and 200 mm telephoto for about the same price as the Xti). Either way you can't go wrong, just go with what feels right. To me the erganomics of the D40 just felt right.

3. cinaibur

cinaibur TPF Noob!

wow... that's a good deal. Where did you get that?

4. BuZzZeRkEr

BuZzZeRkEr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    beachcamera is based out of New Jersey and is local to me. They are a legitimate retailer but I wouldn't go to them for any advice... simply a retailer. BUT.. you just can't beat BH photo... use link above.

Wasn't there a recent thread that explained the limitations of the D40 in terms of lens selection?

6. mascafe

mascafe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both are good cameras to begin. Only to Know is that Nikon D40 or D40X can not use older lenses, only tne new ones with CPU.

Regards

7. stubbsk

stubbsk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm on a D50 which the D40 has replaced. I get some great pictures even though it's an entry level camera and the D40 should take the quality further. Go for it!

8. Neuner

Neuner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because of the lens selection limitation I would go for the xti, however, one of the reasons I chose my D80 was because of the security of the grip in my hand. When I tried out the xti too many times I felt like it was going to fall out of my hand and my fingers felt cramped in the position they were forced in. I believe the D40 is smaller than the D80 but I'm not sure. I liked the bulkier feeling of the Nikons. Try them out at a local store.

9. cinaibur

cinaibur TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to Wolf Camera after class today to get my hands on the cameras so I could see which one felt right. I've decided not to get the Nikon d40/d40x because of lens selection, but the guy at the store has me almost convinced to get a Pentax now. He showed me his k10d. So now I'm trying to decide between the Canon xti and the Pentax k10d. I haven't heard a ton about Pentax. What do you guys think? Also, Would it maybe be ok to take a step down and go for the k100d or should I stick with the 10 megapixel cameras?

10. Shoot4Fun

Shoot4Fun TPF Noob!

I'm in the same spot you are, and just ordered the K100D. The biggest advantages of the K10D are the weather/dust seals (very nice feature)and the 10+ megapixlels (which doesn't bother me). I can't justify the cost for the jump, especially in a beginner DSLR. Don't forget, the Pentax K100D Super and K10D have a $100 rebate going on.

Check out www.adorama.com and www.bhphotovideo.com. I got mine from www.cameraworld.com because they were having a special with a additional so so telephoto lens for $499 after rebate.

11. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Actually, the D40/x can use the older lenses, you just have to go old school with the metering and focus.

If I were you just now, I would try and find a D70/s in good shape or one cheap enough to have the shutter done and still not spend more than it's worth.

You are unlikely to need the extra Mpxls and it will use the older lenses and meter as well.

A used D50 will do nicely too.

By the time you have used one of these up, you will be ready to step up to a D300.

12. cinaibur

cinaibur TPF Noob!

So I'm definitely leaning towards Pentax now. Plus I found out that my dad owns an old Pentax from the 80's so I have a few lenses to play around with if I do get a Pentax. Never knew it but apparently he was really into photojournalism while he was getting his degree in journalism. I don't know if I want the k100d. The lower price is appealing but I don't get much money very often being a college student so I don't know that I want to buy a 6mp camera and then have to upgrade. That's why I'm leaning towards the k10d. Beachcamera.com has it for $711 right now plus it has a $100 holiday mail-in rebate.