Need help deciding - Canon 60D or 7D?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jaimiem, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Jaimiem

Jaimiem TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a little over $1K in my mad money account that I'm planning to put towards a new camera. With my birthday a month away and the potential profit from selling my current Rebel XTi, I should have enough to get either camera. Which would you get? I primarily shoot my own family and will occasionally shoot for friends. I'm hoping that new gear will give me more of a reason to get better and maybe do some shoots on the side. We have an HD Flip recorder for videos so I'm not as impressed with the video part of the 60D.

Help! The money is burning a hole in my pocket (plus I want the camera in time for Fall foliage :)

2. Neil S.

Neil S. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get the 7D.

Its better in every way (as far as I know).

Its hard to beat it for the price. You get weather sealing, which will help greatly to protect your investment.

100% viewfinder is also something that I underestimated how useful it is, upgrading from a 30D to 7D. What you see is what you get, it makes framing a shot so easy.

3. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say go 7D. but the only differences I can find according to Canons website is 8fps vs 5.3fps - 100% vs 96% viewfinder. The 60D has a movable Lcd. So other than the FPS the 7D might not be worth the extra $600.

edit: 7D has metal body and 60D is plastic . At least I think?

4. Neil S.

Neil S. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Weather sealing. No DSLR intended for professional use should be without it.

The 7D is in a category of its own, because its the 1st affordable body Canon has made that has numerous pro level features.

Its firmly a "semi-pro" body.

5. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. KenC

KenC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd say look very carefully at the differences in features between the 7d and T2i/550D. For myself (I too have an XTi currently), I'm not sure I see anything in the 7D worth an extra few hundred dollars over the t2i (isn't it ca. $900 diff.?). If you find there are features on the 7D you can't live without, then go for it, but otherwise, save your money and spend it on a nice lens (or lenses).

7. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Easy choice, 7D.

8. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nope. 50D. You can get it at a steal. The build quality is the same as the 7D and better than the 60D. It shoots faster than the 60D, and you don't need 18mpx.

The only thing you give up is video. If you need video, you can look at the T1i or the T2i.

Still, there is a lot to be said about spending that money on glass. A better lens will make a bigger difference than a better body.

Also, if you can wait a few months, the prices of bodies always drop. However, lenses tend to hold their value.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    TiCoyote raises an important point regarding upgrading your gear - camera bodies come with new desirable features and also improvements in things like usable ISOs and bodies like the 7D also add video into the mix as well.

However (and this is especially true of the new larger MP camera bodies) if you are only using entry level lenses you're only going to get similar or worse overall image quality from them no matter what body you put behind them. So what glass do you have at present - an upgrade there might give you some fantastic improvements.

10. Jaimiem

Jaimiem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You know, I've been debating this morning on the 50D too. Video isn't important to me (although it might be nice after getting a terrible video out of our HD Flip yesterday). What I really want is a better sensor for low light indoor shooting without always having to have my flash (I want to learn about photography's ins and outs to further understand the appropriate settings, but I'd like to have a little more room for error in low lighting (thus less noise) than I do now. I have a 430EX flash that I bounce, but it eats batteries so fast and makes the camera so much more bulky that I've been leaving it off more and more.

I think I've ruled out the 60D just because I really don't like the moving screen (a weak point that could be broken easily) and the plastic body.

So could I now get opinions between the 50D and 7D?

I only have the kit lens for the XTi (but will likely be selling it with the camera), a 50mm f/1.8 prime (that stays on the camera 95% of the time) and a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom lens that I got for super cheap and hope to use more once the kids start sports. I want to upgrade the camera and then work on my lens collection. :)

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well the 50D had little to no usable ISO improvement over the 40D (the ISO improved, but because of the MP increase as well the usable range didn't change much from the 40D) so if you want better ISO I would say the 7D or a second hand/reconditioned 40D would be the route I would take.

Also the 40D option would upgrade you camera body, but also leave you the option of getting more higher level glass - a 70-200mm f4 L would be a big step up from your current zoom at the cheapest end of the 70-200mm lenses.

Also keep in mind if the 50mm f1.8 is still too dark for you you might only find the usable ISO range you want on something like a 5DM2 - a fullframe camera sensor

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I think a 60D and the 580 EX-II speedlight and a decent zoom lens would be a better use of your money than the 7D. Having that good flash unit would really,really open up a lot of possibilities, and would be more critical for people photography than the faster firing rate of the 7D; the 60D will have the color-aware light metering that the 7D has, so that's a wash. A quality flash would be of tremendous benefit, far more than a couple more 18 megapixel image captures to write to memory every second.