Need help deciding: Canon Xs or Nikon D60...probably been asked alot. First DSLR

so i looked online at CC today, and the price of the XSI w IS lens dropped from 899 to 750 with the xs starting at 699. so it seems a logical choice to spend 50 dollars more and get the XSI over the XS.

it seems weird to me that canon would drop the price of the XSI with the XS coming out at 699... does not sound like great marketing strategy for the XS. oh well, i wont complain, its a better deal for me

that being said, what do you guys think, XSI for around 730$ to 750$?
and maybe a 55-200mm lens to compliment? for the D60 CC has been running specials and combining the extra lens, maybe they will do the same for the XSI

One feature the XS/XSi have over the XTi that I like is the ability to fire multiple exposures with the self-timer. Well, I'm not certain the XTi doesn't have it, but I know my XT doesn't at least. I rather like the feature for bracketing if using a shutter release cable or remote.

Dhilberg, I'll have to disagree with you about not worrying about the d60's incompatibility with the entire lens line-up. My first lens purchase was a prime, I wouldn't of wanted it when I started out if it didn't have auto-focus. Not having complete access to the bright primes can really limit the type of photography you are doing, and thus you don't grow as fast as you could. Besides, they are cheaper than fast zoom lenses.

Kenny, the XS was poorly released in my opinion. It should've been released prior to the XSi, not after.

Really, for the money, if it's just a hobby, I'd probably stick with Canon. XSi is cheaper than the D80, and they take comparable photos. The D80 has a slightly more rugged body and a few more buttons/options on the body, but the XSi has plenty. (And hey, with 12 megapixels, gives you more room for cropping if you don't quite have enough zoom ;) )

thanks Tol,

you have really helped me a TON!

2. does IS make much of a difference? as I said, i am completely new to this. like i said, wife is going to be using this as a hobby. Im assuming that the IS cost more than non IS?

Yes. None of the cameras you were looking at had IS. They have to option to be purchased with an 18-55mm lens with IS or VR.

IS really helps a lot with longer lenses. I got a shot at 1/10 of a second that was only semi soft from lens shake. That's with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS @ 200mm. I was just testing it out.

1: Depends what your primary type of photography will be, buy the best lens you can afford for that first. Landscapes? Buy a Tokina 11-16. Wildlife, but the canon 70-300.

2. I've never used IS, so I don't personally know. I know I can hand hold my 75-300 as slow as 1/25th of a second at full zoom, but subjects are usually moving so that doesn't help, as that's too slow to stop motion. IS just allows you to hand hold at slower shutter speeds with no camera shake, if your subject is moving, it's not much help.

The Canon 70-300 isn't worth buying when you can spend a little bit more and get a nicely used 70-200 f/4L for about $450-$550 depending on the market. That gives you one of the sharpest zooms you'll find for a Canon for under $600. You can always get a 1.4x tc with that too.

I call BS on the 2nd statement. 1/25 @ 300mm hand held. You're images are going to be soft from camera shake. General rule says you'd need a shutter speed of about 1/500 with your camera to get a shot a 300mm with no shake. That or you're bracing the camera on something.

Edit: OP - New Canon 30D's were going for about $700 new. You can find an 18-55 for about $50.

Another option to look at.

The Canon 70-300 isn't worth buying when you can spend a little bit more and get a nicely used 70-200 f/4L for about $450-$550 depending on the market. That gives you one of the sharpest zooms you'll find for a Canon for under $600. You can always get a 1.4x tc with that too.

I call BS on the 2nd statement. 1/25 @ 300mm hand held. You're images are going to be soft from camera shake. General rule says you'd need a shutter speed of about 1/500 with your camera to get a shot a 300mm with no shake. That or you're bracing the camera on something.

Edit: OP - New Canon 30D's were going for about $700 new. You can find an 18-55 for about $50.

Another option to look at.
I don't really care if you call BS on it, trying to prove me wrong doesn't help the OP at all. But by and by, general rules don't apply to everyone.

I don't really care if you call BS on it, trying to prove me wrong doesn't help the OP at all. But by and by, general rules don't apply to everyone.

No, but hand holding a lens at 1/25 & 300mm, which is about 480mm on a crop sensor camera, just isn't feabsible. That and telling some one it is, especially a "noob" will have some one asking you why in the hell all their picture are blurry when they're shooting hand held with low shutter speeds at long focal ranges.

Telling the OP that's he'll be fine shooting like that when he won't, doesn't help the OP at all.

Most reactions

Back