Need Help Deciding on Fair Submissions!

cherylynne1

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, guys! So I keep meaning to post for critique and I keep getting caught up in other things, but I have still been taking pictures. I want to submit some photos for the fair again this year, but I could use a little help making final decisions in a couple categories.

I always welcome critique, although I know this isn't really the best format for getting it. I mostly just want to know which photo you would choose to submit if it were up to you. :) I'll try to remember to make a post just for critique later on!

Category: Portrait

Choice A:
DSC06301 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Choice B:
DSC06135 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Category: Children

Choice A:
DSC05533 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Choice B:
DSC06819 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

If it changes your opinion on the Children category, I also intend to submit this photo of the same baby under the category "Joy":
DSC05586 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

So would it be a bad idea to have her in two categories? I'm not sure.

Another thing I should probably mention is that one of the rules is that no composites or cloning is allowed in the photos, which is extremely frustrating.

Anyway, thank you guys so much for helping me out with this!!! I really look forward to hearing all of your opinions.

Choice A and Choice A.. I wonder if you can use the choice B from the baby images for the portraits. Nice photographs..

Choice A on the second.
For the first, both are cropped a little too close for my liking, but otherwise I think either is fine.

Raj has made an excellent observation. Use the child's portrait for your portrait entry.

In the first category, choice "A" has the model's arm conflicting with her face. In choice "B", the model's wristwatch is distracting, and the crop is too tight. Both are informal, and I wonder if anyone will be submitting a formal portrait in this category.

If the entries for "portrait" need to be of adult models, then "A" is the better choice.

For "children", use choice "A", although you need to use choice "B" somewhere, because it's a winner.

Joy is strong.

Of the portraits, the second is stronger.

In children A or B--tossup, both are very pleasant. The more-elaborate setup though is quite compelling.

I like A for the portrait - the dof and the model's expression are more appealing, IMO.
For the children category, I like them both but would probably go with B if you are submitting the close up of the baby for the Joy category. Are the judges the same? Do the judges from one category get to see the entries for the other categories? I think I would still pick B if no other info.

All excellent shots Cherylynne! I remember the one of the older child from a few months ago - the light and skin tones are fabulous.

As it's a pretty small city, I'm sure the judges are the same for all categories. Last year, I definitely noticed that technical skill seemed to be much less important than a interesting set-up. The best of show for portraits was a headshot of a girl in a red hood in a dark forest setting. However, it was definitely done in flat, natural light, and her eye sockets were dark. The colors were dull, and her skin bluish almost to the point of being ashen. In describing it, I realize that could almost sound cool. I assure you, it wasn't done on purpose, it was just flat lighting and incorrect white balance.

Also last year, the one category where I didn't place was Children's. (I entered a photo of baby feet, which I guess they didn't like.) The third place I thought was well done, a fairly classic portrait. However, first and second place were both photos from the same shoot of kids playing with huge bubbles, and I swear they could have been taken with a cell phone. It was kinda cool that you could see the kid through the bubble, but it was harsh sunlight, unflattering shadows, and waaaaaaay oversaturated.

So I'm not entirely sure that the judges know much of anything about photography, or that they care. I'm also competing in "Professional" rather than "Internediate" this year, which could also make a difference.

And yes, I could enter the older child as the Portrait submission. I only worry that if I place with one of the baby photos and the second is on the fence that they'll decide they don't want to award me twice (although of course that didn't happen with the bubble lady last year. :p)

Thank you to everyone who's commented so far!!

Actually, if I do it by 6pm today, I think I could sign up for two entries in Children's. Do you guys think that would be the best solution?

Edit: The website did allow me to do it, so I did. :p So I'll enter both A and B for Children's.

So now the decision is for Portrait. Maybe I chose the wrong photos from those shoots, so let me take another look and see if a different one is better.

Last edited:
The Joy baby is super cute! I like that you can see her few teeth.

So now I feel completely lost and confused, lol! I still need to find a photo for Portraits, and since both of those seem to have issues, I'm going to throw out a few more options to see if any of those seem more appealing.

Choice A:
DSC06307 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Choice B:
DSC06392 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Choice C:
DSC06290 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Choice D:
DSC06407 by cherylynne1, on Flickr

Is there any kind of consensus that any of these are better? Or were the first two the best choices?

Thanks so much for all the help and support, everyone!

C

And C is better than either of the first two.

They are all informal portraits, so I hope the field of competition is evenly matched, meaning that all the other submissions are of informal portraits as well.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I need to send them to the printer today, so I think I'm going to go with C.

I'm not worried about them being informal, I didn't see any formal portraits last year. I actually won this category last year with a test shot of my assistant while waiting for a client to show up, lol. Of course, it could be different people entering and different judges, so you never know. :)

I think informal portraits show the subject's personality better than a formal portrait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back