NEED HELP FAST!!!

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a telephoto lens, and someone suggested to me today not to get a 70 to 300 but to get a 70 to 210 b/c of the digital magnicfication...so what should I do? There's an auction ending soon for the 210 so please respond quick :)

Oh and another thing, does the 210 or other versions of this similiar lens have macro capabilities? I'm trying to research quick :lol:

I have not seen either of those (in that range) lenses that have dedicated macro modes. One thing to check is the minimum focus distance...that will give you a rough idea about how well they will work for close up work.

There are different 70-300 lenses and there are different 70-200 ones as well. Typically the more it costs, the better it is. A 70-200 F2.8 is a great lens but will cost a lot. The F4.0 is still said to be pretty good. Probably better than the cheapest consumer 70-300.

Thanks Mike :) Auction ended, and I decided to hold out until I know for sure what I want...

I was pretty positive that I wanted the Sigma 70-300...but now after more reseach I can't decide. The other's I'm looking at are these:

Sigma 28-200 (hard to find in my price range though)
Sigma 70-210
Sigma 70-300

The 28-200 3.5-5.6 seems to be the best out of the three but also the most expensive...am I right in that thinking?

I'm searching ebay, KEH, B&H, and Adorama for the best deals...but so far just about 50 bucks out of my price range...Yard sale this weekend :lol:

What is your price range Amanda? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro, and it's "decent", for that low price tag. I upgraded to the Canon 70-200 f/4, which is incredible.

I don't know why someone would suggest to get a shorter focal length on a telephoto, because of the magnification. The whole reason you buy a telephoto, is for long range. The magnificiation only increases that range.

That's what I kind of thought too Matt...but he has the sigma 70-300 and said he had some problems with it at 300 b/c of the magnification.

As far as price range goes I was wanting to spend between 100-125 which is typically what ebay has to offer in price range, and more towards the 100 end of that. There are a few used lenses I've come across as well, but they are more towards the 160 range. I have until the 15th to get the lens, b/c I need it for the trip I'm going on.

I may be able to bump my price up more after the weekend (seriously we are having a yard sale :lol: )

I plan on using this at a St.Louis Cardinals game, but then also to shoot at the arch, and for other general purposes as well. I thought the 28-200 would be nice for a wide angle lens, and also the telephoto, but honestly as I've said before. Lenses stump me...I know the more you pay the better they are, but after that it all gets fuzzy.

Amanda, I have the sigma 70-300 lens and it works quite well. I got it in a set of lenses from an online store. It came with a 28-80 lens, but when it got to me it was a 28-90, good deal for me. I got it for a 7D. They both work well, but after trying a few in the stores when I was home on leave, I agree with the statement that the more they cost the better they are. I am in no way unhappy with my choice, I just can't wait to get better at photography to warrant the higher priced lenses.

It's worth pointing out that Sigma have two different 70-300mm lenses. One is the APO version, the other is the non APO version. Both have macro

The APO version is a bit more expensive and a bit better than the non APO version, but it's still quite reasonably priced. I have this lens and, as has been said, it's pretty decent, especially for the price.

Oh, and just to add confusion ;) they've started producing DG versions too.

Thanks kelox and Ant, I've got a few more questions now...

What's the difference between the DL and DG versions?

I've found an auction for the APO Version in my price range but don't know which camera mount it's for...I sent the seller a question so hopefully they will respond CANON :) If so would you say that this would be the best lens out of the ones I've listed...I've read great reviews for the 28-200, but also good reviews for the 70-300 APO...

Thanks for the help, and sorry for all the questions.

Be carefull getting anything sigma or tamron for a digital SLR, I believe if the tamron lense hasnt been chipped for a digi slr, they will charge to do it, but sigma will do it for free...just thought id mention that...

Thanks Arty :) I had read something like that, but am not sure how to find it out on ebay :) Good to know that Sigma will do it free!

Just found a steal on the 28-200...it's a buy it now, but they seller says it didn't work on his 20d, which makes me wonder if it would work on the xt.

Didn't think it would be so difficult choosing between the lenses...

Amanda, if anything, the magnification on a DSLR only makes cheap lenses better, by hiding some of the distortion, and the lack of sharpness.

Arty, any lens for a Canon EF mount works on a Canon DSLR. There's no chipping to be done on Tamron or Sigma lenses. I own lenses from both companies.

^yep.

the best suggestions i can give you is to not rush your purchases. It is better to get a lens later that is better than to be dissapointed with one you get now. go to www.photographyreview.com and www.fredmiranda.com and look at their review for various lenses. Look at all the negative things people say. If there are some things that they say about the lens that makes it alot less appealing to you, then keep looking. Also remember that just because it is a brand name doesnt mean it will be a good lens. There are many sigma lenses that are much much better than some canon or nikon lenses. How much money are you willing to spend exactly? That really narrows it down. That 28-200 lens probably wouldnt be that great on the wide end since the crop factor would make it more like a 45mm - 320mm lens. Also remember that often times lenses are made to be either telephoto or wide angle, and it is fairly difficult (and expensive) to find one that does both well. I would suggest getting a wide lens (kit lens would easily work for now) and a mild telephoto zoom (i suggest the lens digital matt is using, i'm also looking at that one, or the sigma 70-200 2.8 ) coupled with a matching 1.4x teleconverter (a 2x teleconverter would do well to, but you'll lose a little image quality and 2 full stops, making an f4 aperture an f8 aperture, whereas the 1.4x teleconverter only loses one stop). that would make your 200mm long end a 448mm lens on a canon 20d and a 420mm lens on a nikon d70.

Digital Matt said:
Arty, any lens for a Canon EF mount works on a Canon DSLR. There's no chipping to be done on Tamron or Sigma lenses. I own lenses from both companies.
This is not entirely correct.

Third party lenses will work on your CURRENT cameras. There's no guarantee they will work on your next Canon body.

So there are numerous old sigma/tamron lenses floating around which don't work on new elans or digital bodies. Sigma will re-chip them for free, IF THEY HAVE THE CHIP. And they no longer re-chip a LOT of lenses.

It's a gamble. I'd stick with canon if I had the funds.

well, if you have real old sigma lenses (i'm not sure about tamron), then those might not be 'chippable'. Pretty much all the common and new ones (which are the ones worth buying anyway) can be used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back