Need help finding a better lens hood

Ben Chau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Sigma 24-70mm macro lens and i do not like the lens hood that came with it. Its pretty much useless doesn't block out anything. :thumbdown:

So i am wanting to buy a better lens hood that will actually work, so far i'm having trouble finding a lens hood that will fit the this lens since its so big (82mm filter size).

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I can't help specifically, but just as a general point:

If you're using a full frame lens on a cropped-frame body you can actually use a more intrusive hood than standard, if you want to, because cropped frame bodies don't use the edges of the full-frame image circle.

Also, even full frame cameras can differ a bit between brands and fittings, and cropped frames can differ much more. I suspect (though i could be wrong) that sigma 'may' not have a different hood for each camera brand/fitting, instead perhaps going for a widest-fits all approach. If thats so then customising a hood to the a specific camera could also help for that reason too.

I've seen posts elsewhere of people buying longer hoods (meant for longer lenses in the same brand and with the same hood fitting/diameter) and shaving them down to fit exactly the angle of view of their camera. They seemed happy enough with the results but i guess you'd have to take time over it, and take it off the lens before diving in with saws and files! Maybe not an approach for everyone..

Kevin

PS and of course zooms will always have challenges in this respect, as their hoods must fit the widest angle of view and so will be far from ideal when you then zoom in. If you find yourself using the long-end of the range a lot then you could consider getting/making a hood just for that focal length, or else some sort of adjustable flap setup (maybe mounted on a filter holder or something) to account for the zoom at any length. Guess it depends how much effort you want to go to really, and if your type of photography allows you the time to fiddle about with hoods for each composition.

Last edited:
Any suggestions?

Yes... The odd time you have flare bouncing through you lens use your other hand to block it.

I know may not cool because it doesn't make your lens look bigger but hey it works...

If you are frequently shooting directly at the light sources no hood (or hand) will help you. All other applications your hand works great.

I recently purchased a Sigma 24-70mm macro lens and i do not like the lens hood that came with it. Its pretty much useless doesn't block out anything. :thumbdown:

A hood is only really effective at a single focal length... the wide. If you are experiencing problems at 70mm end of your lens, I would consider getting a rubber extending hood. You can adjust them as necessary. Check your local camera shop for options.

As dEARlEADER said, the best solution is often simply your hand or piece of cardboard.

Most reactions

Back