Need help finding a Day pack backpack

mrpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been searching the internet the last month trying to find a backback that will fit my needs but cant find anything so I hope somebody here can help me...

The bags I find either is too big ... holds way too much camera equipment for a day out and has too little extra compartment space for none photographic things i need with me like water and snacks.

I am looking for a backpack I can take with me for the day, a backpack that can take my Nikon D90 with a 70-300mm lens attach, hold maybe another 1 or 2 lenses and have a compartment thats big enough to hold 3 or 4 bottles of water, snacks, wallets and other things i might take with me wile walking around the zoo for instance.

I have the Lowepro Fastpack 250, which sounds like will hold exactly what you are describing. Plus, the 250 is slightly bigger than the 200 and also has a padded laptop sleeve for up to a 15.4" notebook.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest going into a well stocked camera store and looking at as many bags as possible. Searching for bags on the internet doesn't really give you the best sense of how big/small they are.

There may not be a perfect choice, but there are certainly many bags that will fit most of your needs.

I have a few Lowepro bags and love them. Highly recommended.

Thanks ....

I looked at the Fastpack 250 online but the camera compartment looked very big to me and the top compartment too small ??

I wish I can go to a well stocked photography store, unfortunately there is only one store in my town and it carries very basic stock especially when it comes to bags

I have been recommending the Kata 3n1 for a while now but was dissappointed on the last hike. too awkward at carrying a load. especially with the tripod holder on the very back of the pack. IMO try to get a bag that keeps the tripod close to your body. good luck

Take a look at the LowePro VersaPack 200. I can fit my D90, 70-300mm (with hood reversed) and 16-85mm (hood attached) easily, with either one of the lenses on the camera. The bag also has convenient side-openings on both sides so that the camera or extra lens(es) can be accessed easily by just slipping one shoulder strap off and swinging the bag around.

The top compartment has enough space for a few bottles of water, sandwiches etc. Other pluses in my mind were built-in tripod holder and all-weather cover (however, I can't comment on how well the tripod holder works since I haven't used it much at all). It's also not stiff like a lot of camera backpacks -- you can remove the dividers in the camera compartment and flatten the bag if you want to pack it in luggage for travel etc.

The other options I considered seriously were the Kata 3n1 20 and the LowerPro FastPack 200. I found the VersaPack more comfortable to wear (although that may just be a personal preference) and lighter than both of those. The FastPack also lacks the tripod support and AW cover and only has one side opening (so changing lenses requires opening the main zipper).

The Fastpack does not have a tripod holder, but the top section is adequate for most miscellaneous stuff for a day trip (including a gorillapod). There is one mesh water bottle holder on the outside, opposite the camera access area. If you are not carrying a laptop, the sleeve area is a great place to store maps/books/magazines.

Have you looked at the slingshots too?
I know it's more of a shoulder pack but it could also be an option if you find it a good fit.

The Kata DR-467i might be worth looking into as well.

In my opinion there is a huge gap in the market when it comes to the type of bag you've described. There really are no great "hybrid" bags. There a few good ones, like the Kata, but I haven't found a great one yet.

I had a hard time finding a day pack to carry a good amount of gear and stuff. I settled on the Lowepro Primus AW.

It has a side opening zipper, so similar to the Fastpack, you can swing it somewhat sideways, one strap off your shoulder, and get your body out of the side. Note that a body + grip will be a challenge to get out.

There are two compartments...the bottom one holds the camera gear. I have easily fit a 7D with a 28-75 attached, 10-22 and 70-300, with room for a flash or my 50 as well.

The top compartment is for other gear. You can still put camera stuff there, there is just no padding. Great for a full change of clothes, lunch, book, rain jacket... There is a big mesh pocket on the outside that holds a big bottle of water.

The tripod mount is ok. There are many straps to adjust how the bag sits on your back. I've had both compartments full, and with a tripod, and rarely have issues walking the streets.

Thank you ... i am going to look into all these bags ... the primus sounds promising because i need minimum camera space but lots of space for none camera stuff

Most reactions

Back