Need Help Finding Lens now

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Squeeky, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Squeeky

Squeeky TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking at getting two diffrent lenses telephoto & wide angle.

Wide angle:max apurtaure possiable thats constant, prime lens, crop reduction (which I think is basically where the lens is closer to the cdd which makes it crop out less of the acutual photo.

Telephoto:silent auto foucus, crop reduction, internal zoom
    I'm willing to havelower aperture but I'd love to have a large varation on how wide it can get. (I like the idea of night photography but with my current camera it's really limited) I haven't found a body yet, I was told to fight the right lens first http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132717. I have taken photos of animal, people, landscapes, macro, night time, indoor, & outdoor, so basically I'm not limiting myself to certian subjects. Like my hobbies they variy a lot. Uh whats an iq related to lenses? For range in zoom I was looking for like 5x about since 3 seems to little from what I've done. I don't really have a budget (little money & don't know much about lenese in the first place as you can see).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Syndac

Syndac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wide angle telephoto... prime lens with internal zoom.... huh?

3. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry, but there is a such thing as too much information. You are reading too much about lenses be they reviews and/or technical anylisis and then putting it all together into one or two perfect lenses.

Sadly I regret to inform you that no such a lens exists.

For starters there are primes and there are zooms. A prime is a fixed focal leingth lens wile a zoom is variable. They are one or the other, never both.

constant aperture is a zoom feature available on some lenses and for a 2.8 constant you are looking an expensive lens.

Wide angle and telephoto....oi, with lens construction to day I am not sure but I do not think it can be found. Most of the wide angle zooms I am aware of go to only around 80mm at the longest and 80mm is not a telephoto. Conversely the telezooms I am aware of only come to around 50mm and that is far from wide angle.

I have never heard of crop reduction, Some one explain that one to me please.

Now I am not the most knowledgable on modern lenses, so I could be wrong on the wide tele zoom but for the rest I am positive.

But you are likely looking at two different lenses both of them zooms. but before anyone can advise any glass to you they need to know what body you are planning to shoot with. A little of what you expect to shoot with it is useful as well.

4. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think what he's trying to say is:

Ok I found a site listing what's involved in a lens & I think I know what I'd need. Heres the list: two lens types Telephoto & Wide Angle with, with prime lens max aperture possiable thats constant 2.8 max aperture
    Silent Autofocus-good but not nessary Crop Reduction Internal Zoom.
    Anyone know any good lens that fit that, the cheeper is better as long as they're still good.

I did some reading and...
    I'm interested in a wide to telephoto Zoom and...
    a prime with at least f/2.8 and...
    Silent operation and...
    I also want to learn about how crop factors work...
    Any one got any recommendations?​

He doesn't tell us what zoom range he's interested in nor which prime length though so it makes it kinda hard. :D

5. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    When it comes to just the zoom range, normally speaking the larger a zoom range, the lesser the IQ... But thats just generally speaking, there can be some good IQ lenses with a big range...

I would get iffy about a 28-200mm lens tho... id lookup reviews for a lens ESPECIALLY if it has a big zoom range like that

6. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I came to that realization as well but I did want to convey that explaning the fucntions one is looking for is less helpful than explaining what body and potential use the user has for the lens/lenses as well as how it's worded. That constant aperture prime had me all kinds of knotted up though.

I too do not trust the idea of zooms that cover that much ground, my 60-300 was an absolute flop...on top of that I did not know any one made a 28-200 :blushing: Never the less I'll stick to the trusty 80-200.

Since I am posting again....

for a prime you can't go wrong with a good 50mm or an 85mm, I use both frequently

I have no input on the zooms though, all mine start at 60mm and only go up from there.

7. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hey - dpreview got a black one not a (bazooka) green!
    Interesting that its got 500mm f2.8 - not even canon primes are f2.8 (though weight!)

As for the thread in question, Budget is very important - you can build a kit for £500 or £5000 they will be and perform very differently. Secondly give us some idea of what you intend to shoot with the lens - you appear not to be too certain of focal lengths (nothing wrong in that at the start) so an idea of what you want to photograph will at least let us stear you in the right direction

9. Squeeky

Squeeky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't mean wide angle and telephoto in one. I was meaning one of each with this stuff.

10. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, for a wide angle prime, a 35mm is a good starting point, it's the same angle found on most point and shoots.

standard primes I covered in my second post

For telephoto I would suggest a 135mm, It's not too long or too short, I use them quite a bit.

and telephoto zooms I would have to say an 80-200, it's a very versital ans will make for an exelent carry on lens.

However we can't give specific lenses with knowing what body you plan on getting to put these on.

11. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

12. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I were in your shoes ...
    24-70 f/2.8L (not wide on crop camera) or 17-40 f/4L
    70-200L ... you have four to choose from: "f/4", "f/4 IS", "f/2.8", "f/2.8 IS"
    or maybe the 24-105L
    Also hear great things about EF-S 17-55 f/2.8IS

For wide you can also look at 10-22, 11-16, 16-35, etc ...
    For long: 70-300, 55-250, 100-400, etc etc ... so many choices

You mentioned wide, prime and cdd (CCD?) ... are you thinking Nikon? I'm talking Canon. Do not know if Canon has a wide prime.

"x5", "x3" zoom for lens will only matter if you tell us min length ... the 18-200 I believe is x10 while the 100-400 is x4 ... I think that's how it work