Need help getting dust off of sensor. :(

.::Gordon::.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was snapping some pics today and when I put them on the computer, I noticed these specs in some of the images. So I entered the "sensor clean" mode on my cam (20D) and looked at the sensor. Sure enough there's specs of dusts on the sensor. I tried using my air bulb blower thingy but to no avail. I'm scared to use the brush...as to I'm not sure how sensitive the sensor really is. Any advice? :wink:

Thanks in advance.

dust.jpg

that is a very touchy issue ... even making some people cringe who own DSLRs for quite a while. ;)

there are lots of approaches to this and there are some webpages on this issue.

one fact is, you cannot avoid getting dust on the sensor if you swap lenses often, and that is what an SLR is for.

if it is just a few specs, and you are a patient person, you could use a speckgrabber. Just make sure that you have the specgrabber clean (alcoholic wipes will do the job, but they have to be lint free.) and then gently hit the dustspec (remember when you look at the sensor, the sensor is upside down with respect to the image you looked at.) .. dont streak ,just hit it from straight above.

if you are a looney like me, you will even clean the whole sensor area like this ;) .. takes some time though ;)

other approaches use special brushes which are very expensive and you charge them statically .... i tried this with a normal brush once whcih i thought i got clean, but the result was a desaster.

then there are several methods which include wiping with special alcoholic wipes (each only to be used once -> expensive on the long run).

wiping always carries the danger to scratch if you have mineral particles on the sensor (tiny sand basically).

air blowing in my experience is rather useless

oh and if you want to see the whol lotta specs.. just use a tiny aperture, say f/22 and then look at the pic in magnification .. you will be amazed by that dust bunny colony on your sensor ;)

thanks for the replies :)

and that tutorial was a pretty good read. i placed an order for that cleaning kit. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back