Need help, I am not sure, where I am going wrong.

Kedarnag138

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, This is my first post here.

Today I went out and took few pictures and when I looked at them really hard(zoomed in), I felt there was no sharpness to the image(a little blurry I would say). I am not sure what I doing wrong. Any kind of feedback is appreciated.

I was using a Tripod, Canon 70D, Canon 10-18mm Wide angle lens.

IS - Off. Mirror Lockup - Enabled, Timer - 2secs. Tried with both View-finder and Live-view.

Sunset

What was your aperture?
Any breeze?

What you are doing wrong is zooming right in to look at the pictures. All sorts of 'defects' can appear that just don't matter.

The version that is on my tablet appears to be sharpened far too much - a small amount of sharpening is required if you are shooting RAW but only a small amount and none at all if you are shooting JPEGs.

I agree, don't zoom in so much looking for sharpness. Of course your final use of the image can help determine how much sharpness is acceptable.

The EXIF gives 0.78m (which isn't alway correct) and is within reason as with the f/11 aperture you were out past the hyperfocal distance at the 10mm focal length. However, all this depth-of-field also depends on the circle-of-confusion and that number is not based on zooming in to 1:1 or more looking at the image. Also, at smaller apertures you increase the effect of diffraction and that can lower sharpness.

A lot of times in an ocean scene the water in the foreground does not need to be in sharp focus, so you can focus on something farther away that is or is closer-to the main subject. Other options could include stacking some shots to increase the DOF or using a tilt-shift lens.

Yeah, just downloaded the image for exif scan.

Shutter: 1/60
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100

Those are pretty good settings. Faster shutter speed might freeze motion more effectively; slower shutter can get the water intentionally blurred (I see this with ND filters often). I agree that shooting landscapes with raw gives a few more nice options.

Seems like a nice image to me!

It looks fine to me :)

It's fine. Don't pixel peep.

There is some jpeg compression artifacts, but that's normal for a jpeg file.

What you are doing wrong is zooming right in to look at the pictures.
Yes that is exactly what I was doing.

The version that is on my tablet appears to be sharpened far too much - a small amount of sharpening is required if you are shooting RAW but only a small amount and none at all if you are shooting JPEGs.
Thanks, I did not it was over-sharpened.

Yeah, just downloaded the image for exif scan.

Shutter: 1/60
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100

Those are pretty good settings. Faster shutter speed might freeze motion more effectively; slower shutter can get the water intentionally blurred (I see this with ND filters often). I agree that shooting landscapes with raw gives a few more nice options.

Seems like a nice image to me!

Thanks. RAW format has it's benefits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back