need help making a website

Just sign up for smugmug and design an account and it's a lot easier.

Since you ask this question, so I believe you are not planning to build the site from ground zero. (include site design, coding and stuff) So you may want to look around and see if there is photos displaying type open source software. Or look for a CMS that capable of hosting photos.

Once you find what you want, then look for direction on how to host the software.

Since you ask this question, so I believe you are not planning to build the site from ground zero. (include site design, coding and stuff) So you may want to look around and see if there is photos displaying type open source software. Or look for a CMS that capable of hosting photos.

Once you find what you want, then look for direction on how to host the software.
I want it to have its own domain name

You're really asking this in the wrong type of forum.

But since you asked, I'll try to dissuade you. I think if you want a website to show off your photos, you're better off waiting and spending the time and effort improving your photography before you go showing it off to the world - you don't want to make a name for yourself as a poor photographer when you're clearly still young and have a lot of learning and improvement left in you yet.

get dreamweaver.

Building a web site that has commercial transaction capability from scratch is very difficult, even for someone who builds web sites. You should absolutely consider buying your domain name and having one of the many hosting services build your site from their stock software. They will also handle all your transactions, but will take a cut. There is one outfit that I saw (DOTEASY) promoting a free enterprise web package. You would still have to buy the domain name and pay the financial services company a cut of each sale. It will work with PayPal also.

Since we're on the subject, I have a question for all of you here.

Can you help me with photography? Tell me everything you know.

I want it to have its own domain name

It is clear that you do not know what I am talking about. It is better you either hiring someone to do that for you. Or you need to start learning the basic. Just like in Photography.

Look into wordpress, plenty of plugins and themes you can use. Joomla is also another great starter CMS.

Open up Notepad and type the following:

<html>
<head>
<title>Clueless Photog</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="pink">
<font face="times" color="white">
<H1>
Hi, I post underexposed and out of focus images on a photo forum for kicks and now I have my own site! Watch my skills remain the same while I waste people's time asking for C&C that I'll never read or incorporate into my 'photography'.
<p>
LULZ!
</H1>
</font>
</body>
</html>

Save it as index.html and upload it to any free hosting service of your choice, you'll be an instant star.

Most reactions

Back