Need help! My new MANUAL lens with the D70?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by catweh00, Mar 9, 2005.

1. catweh00

catweh00 TPF Noob!

Ok, as stated previously, I just purchased a nikkor 300mm f/4.5 manual AI lens (shown here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3880142907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT )

well, this is an AI manual focus lens, and the manula on the d70 says I can use it in manual mode. I have never done anything in manual mode before and I didn't know what things I should specifically look out for? I have to do my own metering and all that, right? Do I just guess, snap the picture, and look at the picture review?

I guess Ill just do that then. Let me know if you all foresee any huge problems.

Craig

2. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

You should still be able to use the meter, probably not fully matrix but probably spot and center weight. Switch the little switch from autofocus to manual and away your go.

3. mikerfns

mikerfns TPF Noob!

Sorry, but no you won't. The D70 will NOT meter with any lens that does not have a CPU (i.e. just about every manual focus lens, including the 300/4.5 AI). That means no AE, you will be limited to manual mode. You will need to "guesstimate" the exposure (sunny 16 rule or via the histogram) or use a seperate handheld meter.

Only the D1/D2 series pro digital bodies will meter with MF lenses.

Mike

4. catweh00

catweh00 TPF Noob!

Well, the one great thing about this experience is that I will need to learn how to expose myself. Wait a minute, perhaps I should re-word that. I will need to learn how to properly expose photos, all by myself.

Im actually looking forward to learning!
    Craig

5. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!

6. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

Ah, well I wasn't sure about center and spot but it appears that they won't work either. Sorry mate. Still with instant feedback you should be able to get an exposure nailed daown rather quickly and if you shot in RAW there's a great deal of forgiveness.