Need Help naming my Business

cameracrazymomma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

Im new here.....:). I am getting ready to start my own photography business. I am having the hardest time coming up with a name. I need help!!!! I will be taking pics of weddings, babies, children, families, special occasions and events, etc.

I am very excited about getting this up and running (my family has been trying to get me to do it for awhile,,,,and im finally ready to do it).

If anyone has any suggetions or tips. I really need them.

Thanks

I feel that using your name such as "Jane Doe Photography" adds credibility to the business, makes it personal.

I don't know how it is there but here if the business name is able to let people know that it belongs to you, you don't have to file a fictitious name statute. I believe that the fictiticous name statute costs more money and you have to go through more hoops.

If you just use "your name photography" then you could get by with just that.

You should make sure you have a separate checking account for your business (that's most important), but you can just have a regular checking account for that, no business name required.

Although it seems that having a business name is necessary, it isn't when you are first starting. Depending on your state, you may only need to file what's called a DBA (doing business as) certificate for the state (which means you also might need a tax ID depending on what services you provide and if you have employees). In other states, you have to file it in every place within the state you want to work.

Unless you have a commercial space for a studio and have to abide by those commercial regulations, operating on your own, as a sole proprietor, you will be just fine having people make the checks out to you personally and you can just put your name on your business cards saying you are a photographer and what you shoot.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a business student who has had a couple of businesses and I have never filed a DBA. Check with your local court clerkk's office and with your appropriate state agency that governs business so that you pay and collect the proper sales and business taxes. I would, however, recommend spending a little money to get your legal affairs straight in a couple of hours with a lawyer so that you have the proper contracts and such. A little money spent there will save you many headaches in the future.

Good luck!

I'm also horrible at names so what I did was open up itunes and set it to shuffle, I kept hitting next and added "photographer" to the end of every song. Eventually the song "Deep Spring" by Common Rider came on and I was like hmmm Deep Spring Photography..... that could work.

I feel that using your name such as "Jane Doe Photography" adds credibility to the business, makes it personal.
I agree with Mike. However...

I kinda like: Crazy Momma Photography

I agree with Mike. However...

I kinda like: Crazy Momma Photography

I was thinking the same thing :mrgreen:

Catchy and no one would forget it!

I like jone doe studios.

First a very short story. I shoot a few local bands with available light or by the Strobist method. My kids (all grown) got us into this and we have become good friends with band members and there families. Some of the "kids" in the band and the groupies started calling me "Picture Daddy". I call my little effort Picture Daddy productions. So, if you have a nickname or something that has stuck to you like glue in life's little journey you might want to work that into your business name.

Most reactions

Back