Need help on buying first film camera.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Maexus, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Maexus

Maexus TPF Noob!

I need your guys help. :hail: :lol:

I'm tired of shooting on my A80 and would like to go film. Money is tight, REALLY tight so I can't afford much. I was looking at the Canon Rebel GII or Ti. Is there alot of difference between them? What is the Nikon equivalent of a Rebel?

Thanks

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

welcome to the forum

the nikon equivalent of those two would probably be the n65 and n55 and n75.

if you told us your budget we might be able to pinpoint something you would like, but ultimately, its what feels best in your hands.

md

3. Maexus

Maexus TPF Noob!

$200-$250 :(

4. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Canon GII and I really like it. But it's also the only SLR I've ever owned, so I may be biased. I do know the camera store people turn their noses up when i come in with it.

The things that I wish my camera had but don't:

Wireless flash control/sync.
    Wireless shutter release via remote.

Other than that, i think it's served my purpose very well, and I have taken several images I'm very proud of with it.

I guess my only question would be why not used? Ebay may net you a lot more camera for the same amount of money...

5. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right. I would go to ebay right away. With that budget you can get wonders on the second hand market. Take also a look here at the forum, maybe someone is offering what you want, and you will definitely get something more reliable than at ebay. But ebay can be excellent as well.

Don't know the Rebel in particular. Has to be an AF body?

6. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yup. Got mine as a Christmas present on sale from www.wolfcamera.com for just over $150.

7. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I meant: has to be AF the camera you want to buy? Because I would really consider a MF body if that's going to be a first film camera. And for the money you spend in a Rebel you could probably get something better ;)

8. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!

With that budget you're very limited. We know you want film and I'm assuming 35mm. So okay, what kinds of bells and whistles? You want a manual camera or AF? You want an SLR or point and shoot rangefinder? My suggestion would be to put together another $100 and buy an F3 Nikon with a 50mm f1.8 on eBay. No AF but a camera built like a tank.

9. Maexus

Maexus TPF Noob!

I bought a Canon Rebel Ti. Can be returned, looks like a great camera.

10. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett| TPF Noob!

If you are looking for a film camera, i'd go w/ an n65 or n75.
    The n75 has continuous autofocus. Both the n65 and 75 have metal lense mounts, don't get the n55, as it's mount is plastic.

11. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Not a bad choice.

I'd recommend a manual focus used body though. The lenses are better and cheaper.

35-80 or whatever lens that comes with it, is mediocre optically. Plus, a zoom doesn't help you learn at all.

You want to get 50mm f/1.8 For only 60 bucks or so, you get an excellent piece of glass.

If I were you, I'd return the camera and would shop around for a manual focus body. It's a bit slower, but you learn your stuff. The lenses are cheaper too. A good 50mm prime will set you back 5-10 bucks.

Then you'll get a 35 mm prime for less than 50 and 85mm for less than a 100 for sure.

You'll be able to do A LOT with those 3 lenses and it'd be cheaper than 250.

Cheers

12. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Isn't this too much to start with?
    Honestly, I'd never spent $300-400 in a first camera, regardless how good it were -and the F3 is obviously good enough :drool:

Just to have something to compare to these suggestions, I'll make you mine: since, as I assume, this will be a first film camera, I would spend only $100 and have a second hand manual body with a 50mm. You have a lot of options here: Nikon FG would be good enough, also Minoltas (X series-I started with one!), Canons (AE1, for example), etc Just a few examples. Take a look at the reviews and check the specifications: think what you need and don't need and go for the one that best feels in your hands (in case you can have it before paying for it!). Save the rest of the money and, if you like the camera, buy some extra gear with it: a couple of lenses, flash, filters.

You will always have time to upgrade. And, when you do, you'll probably know better what you want to buy.