Need help organizing my website

Discussion in 'Personal and Professional Photography Websites' started by nerwin, Dec 4, 2017.

1. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, if this is just a site to introduce yourself and have people view your images ... I wonder if the landing page should be more about you first ... the introduction that sets the stage for the images ??

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I tried that once, I honestly didn't like it...I dunno, it just didn't feel right to me. Most already know I'm a photographer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

It looks like a good start. I think there could even be a B&W category. I also think that the number of images could be knocked down a lot within each category. Where a lot of images works is where you are showing a subject that others are interested, i.e.: cars, buildings, trains, sports, etc. In your case the site is to showcase your best work. Sometimes it can help to have someone else curate for you. As the photographer, you know things about each piece of work that can make it very difficult to remove. Often the removal is not because the image is bad, it just does not add to current presentation.

So one goal could be that instead of adding more images, try and remove one image in each category each week this month (starting with the duplicated dragonfly). Later I think you could add some categories and start putting some of the pulled images back in along with some new work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I really like the site Nerwin. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said. I think your really talented and should be very proud of your work. I really think it is fine the way it is. The only thing, maybe offer the availability to buy prints. I am no where near your level and people have had to insist on buying prints from me. I don't even have a site. Well done.... Any lenses to sell?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. nerwin

As usual, I'm putting way too much thought into it. I just wanted to keep it simple haha. I don't want too many galleries.

Thanks for the awesome advice, much appreciated.

6. nerwin

I haven't figured out the print thing yet. Prints are hard to sell, especially when you are trying to make money. I've sold a few, but they were private sales and done via email. Unfortunately Adobe Portfolio doesn't have any e-commerce function at this time, so I'd probably have to use a service or something which I'm a little skeptical on. I do mention in the contact page that I sell prints if asked haha. Better than nothing I guess!

Nah no lenses sell yet. Gotta buy them first!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Your urban/architecture page has three images that _I_ would kill-file. As mentioned above, very tough to self-curate, but the alley, the one buildins shot, and the "other one" are nowhere near as good as the better ones in that section. Same with the first page...2 of your BEST images are at the bottom of Page 1...ought to be up top.

The mix of color and B&W in the landscapes looks "off" to me...

8. nerwin

Maybe quality is better than quantity in this case.

So maybe having a b&w gallery separate and keep color photos together would be better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    YES...I think mixing color and B&W landscapes dilutes both. Fewer and better is "mo-betta'!" than more and lesser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nerwin

It's fine to put landscapes among other types of photos into a b&w album?

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Whatever you want to do, I guess. It's your web site!

12. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

When I view landscape photos, I usually don't categorize them as such, therefore in my mind at least, landscape photos are just pretty pictures. To me, a photo can be as much about the light or the experience, as much as belonging to a certain category. You might be able to tell; I don't got out to try to get photos of "landscape". I just grab whatever whenever. Like when visiting a certain place, and I just see a nice scene, then I grab it. If I had a website, I doubt if I would have a section for landscape photos. That's just me.