Need Help Photos Inside

BoxPhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens and I'm not getting the shots I want. I think I have the wrong settings. What setting should I be using, cause these photo's are obviously not sharp what so ever. I do have a SB 600 flash with a flash cord. If need to use it, what do you guys think it should be set at looking at these photo? What correction gel might I have to use? I am going back to shoot more tomorrow so please reply quick! None of these photo's have been edited. I'm using a Nikon D80/.

DSC_0001BadTheater.jpg

Why are these so over exposed? It seem somewhat dark. Settings were F1.8 ISO 100, 1/15.

DSC_0268BadTheater.jpg

Settings were F2.5, ISO 160, 1/13.

DSC_0283BadTheater.jpg

Settings were F1.8, ISO 160, 1/40.

DSC_0385BadTheater.jpg

Extremely over exposed, but why? F.18, ISO 160, 1/50.

DSC_0706BadTheater.jpg

Dark shadows on her face. Should I use a flash? If so where should it be pointed? Settings were, F1.4, ISO1 160, 1/40.

DSC_0819BadTheater.jpg

This one was out of focus. F1.4, ISO 160, 1/40.

Your not going to get away with ISO 100/hand held in those lighting conditions. Subject and/or you are moving in those shots. Bump the ISO up to at least 400 and give it a shot (most likely 800). Experiment but 5 & 6 could probably use some bounce flash. For the theatre shots, I'd mess more with ISO and try to get away without the flash.

Last edited:
I'm no pro. But if I was in your shoes I would be using a faster shutter speed because they all look blurry to me, none of them are sharp. And therefore a higher ISO.

Looks like everyone covered the basics. Try to get additional light sources set up for the stage or use a strong flash with diffuser?

What mode are you shooting in? Manual, or Aperture/Shutter Priority?

With a D80 and no flash you'll replace blur with noise because you'll need to shoot at around 800 ISO minimum from what I can see. The good news is you can fix a lot of the noise with software, but you can't fix blur.

If I where to use flash, where should I point it?

I do also have the Lumiquest Ultrasoft.

Last edited:
The first shot is a *classic* example of spotlighted performers in front of a dark stage curtain; the light meter sees 90 percent black curtain; the same thing with the girl in shot 4. With the ISO set to 100, and the lens nearly wide-open at f/1.8 in the first shot, the light meter determines that a slow exposure of 1/15 second is appropriate. Spotlighted performers on stage, a classic old-school method would tell you that the light meter reading will tend to OVER-expose, and that a Minus exposure of -2.0 to -3.0 stops will give a more appropriate exposure for the spot-lighted subjects in frames 1 and 4.

The indoor shots of the two teenagers, in frames were both exposed at ISO 160 at f/1.4, with slow shutter speeds of 1/40- second. The boy has motion blur,and is a bit out of focus.

The major issue is that you need to boost the ISO much higher--to 640 or 800 or so. For the on-stage shots with spotlighting or strong flood lighting, keep in mind that the subjects will easily be illuminated by light that is 2 or 3 or even as much as six f/stops brighter than non-illuminated areas off stage. For the behind-the-scenes stuff, a touch of flash would be helpful.

Keep in mind--the D80 is/was noted for its tendency to meter "hot",and this classic stage/dark curtain situation is easily tamed by shooting at what the meter indicates is quite "under-exposed". Good luck. Use the LCD to review to help you get dialed in while at the event.

You can also try spot metering off the subject in some instances where you have a lot of contrast between the subject and background. This can help with getting the exposure dialed in for the subject.

You know Derrel, you're like a walking photography encyclopedia. :D I think I'm just going to PM you if I ever have a question I need answered.

Most reactions

Back