Need help pickin my first DSLR

I've had the 18-55 IS lens, and it's about as worthless as it gets. Some pretty severe distortion from the glass. I bought it for $200, tested it out, returned it the next day. I've heard Nikon's version is actually a lot better.

Have you tried B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders? Best Buy marks up their products pretty badly, but I don't know what price the eBay seller is offering. Have a look at B&H, they are an ultra-reputable company with great selection and much better prices than most other places. And anything gray market is marked clearly as such.

So i did some poking around on google and guess what.....gititdigital is a scam!! :grumpy: Awsome...... so now i have to look at other sites blehh.... I found a pretty good deal at adorama. ICA50DKA Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera /Lens Kit Black , with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, 8GB CF Memory Card, Spare BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery, Slinger Camera Bag , Digital Remote Release
Is this a good and legit site? looks like it. thank you all

Adorama is another very well-trusted site, they've been around for a long time. I've bought from them before.

Here's another site that could help you in your search, if you don't know it alreay: www.resellerratings.comhttp://www.resellrratings.com

I also vote for the Nikon D90 and a Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro VR lens. You will love the performance of the 105mm lens. That said, I just bought a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro IS lens and will check it out this weekend.

So i did some poking around on google and guess what.....gititdigital is a scam!! :grumpy: Awsome...... so now i have to look at other sites blehh.... I found a pretty good deal at adorama. ICA50DKA Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera /Lens Kit Black , with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens, 8GB CF Memory Card, Spare BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery, Slinger Camera Bag , Digital Remote Release
Is this a good and legit site? looks like it. thank you all
How do you know gititdigital is a scam? I was just about to check them out after reading this thread lol. 15000 feedback on ebay seems good. Just curious....

I did some googling around. Check complaintsboard.com. they lay it out pretty good in there, getitdigital themselves actually left a reply in the forum defending themselves, folowed by a post by some random user also defending getitdigital, which was there only post on the site, and had joined the same day getitdigital left there post. I then actually found another forum of complaints about getitdigital and it looks like they pasted thier same defense in this forum too, also followed by some random user of a different name defending get it digital, also was there only post. seems kind of suspicious. Also, i called Canon and they said they had no such company as getitdigital on their authorized seller list, meaning the cameras were obtained some other way than from Canon. ALSO.....ya i did allot of research........ i checked the bbb and getitdigital, although listed as a business in brookland new york, was not assosiated with the better business bureau. I called the number provided in there business listing and it was not a 1 800, when i got through there was no "thank you for calling get it digital" it was just a regular guy answering his phone, said he didnt know what i was talking about. Also there is alot of stuff on google linking them with other scam companies which have gone down, apperently they change thier name and move shop when they start to get bad publisity. Sooooooo...... not gonna risk it.

Anyway(lol), i desided to go with Adorama.

The kit im purchasing comes with
-Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body - EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens - Eyecup Eb - Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS 50D - Video Cable VC-100 - USB Interface Cable IFC-200U - Battery Pack BP-511A - Battery Charger CG-580 - "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet and "Do More Macro" Booklet - EOS CD - Software Instruction Manual - Canon 1 Year Limited Warranty -
8GB CF Memory Card, Spare BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery - Slinger Camera Bag - Digital Remote Release
Adding
-Tripod
-UV/Lens protector filter
-Lens hood

What else should i get as a DSLR Beginner? Also, is 8gigs big for a 15mp Camera? About how many shots is that?

tryin to keep it under 1500. im at about 1300 now.

Thanks

I did some googling around. Check complaintsboard.com. they lay it out pretty good in there, getitdigital themselves actually left a reply in the forum defending themselves, folowed by a post by some random user also defending getitdigital, which was there only post on the site, and had joined the same day getitdigital left there post. I then actually found another forum of complaints about getitdigital and it looks like they pasted thier same defense in this forum too, also followed by some random user of a different name defending get it digital, also was there only post. seems kind of suspicious. Also, i called Canon and they said they had no such company as getitdigital on their authorized seller list, meaning the cameras were obtained some other way than from Canon. ALSO.....ya i did allot of research........ i checked the bbb and getitdigital, although listed as a business in brookland new york, was not assosiated with the better business bureau. I called the number provided in there business listing and it was not a 1 800, when i got through there was no "thank you for calling get it digital" it was just a regular guy answering his phone, said he didnt know what i was talking about. Also there is alot of stuff on google linking them with other scam companies which have gone down, apperently they change thier name and move shop when they start to get bad publisity. Sooooooo...... not gonna risk it.

Anyway(lol), i desided to go with Adorama.

The kit im purchasing comes with
-Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body - EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens - Eyecup Eb - Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS 50D - Video Cable VC-100 - USB Interface Cable IFC-200U - Battery Pack BP-511A - Battery Charger CG-580 - "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet and "Do More Macro" Booklet - EOS CD - Software Instruction Manual - Canon 1 Year Limited Warranty -
8GB CF Memory Card, Spare BP-511 Lithium-Ion Battery - Slinger Camera Bag - Digital Remote Release
Adding
-Tripod
-UV/Lens protector filter
-Lens hood

What else should i get as a DSLR Beginner? Also, is 8gigs big for a 15mp Camera? About how many shots is that?

tryin to keep it under 1500. im at about 1300 now.

Thanks

Kudos for doing all the right research. Lots of fake companies coming out of NY like this one.

That sounds like a good kit, though you'll soon be wanting a proper wide-angle prime or zoom (I have a 17-85 IS lens that I love). 28mm on a "crop-sensor" body like the 50D is not all too wide. But that's an excellent kit to start with, and the lens is quality and has plenty of range to get you going.

I Say save yourself money and buy a USED Canon 20D with a Sigma 70-300mm MACRO lens

After playing with the cameras, the Canon just felt right. I hear thats one of the most important things to look for in a camera is the comfort and the feel of the button layout. After researching i concluded that they were just about equal, so i went with the one that felt better.

I plan on getting a Macro and a wide angle for Landscape and nature stuff, tis what im interested in but for now im gonna take it slow and learn my way around the camera. I thougt the lens was pretty cool cuz it had a big range(28-135). But does that list sound good for a beginner? I want to have the necessities. Also, is 8 gigs enough, and about how many pictures is that?(15mp)

The 28-135mm is an EF lens, not a good range for a 1.6x body. 28 x 1.6 = 45mm. That is a normal lens! You will wish for a wider lens often. I know this is often Canon's kit lens for their 1.6x crop frame bodies, but it makes no sense. I would much rather have their 15-85mm EF-S lens for a 1.6x body.

Im sure ill get into new lenses pretty quickly. I gotta learn it for now;). What does EF mean? by the way, and 1.6 crop? Sry im noobish. haha. For future reference, what is a good wide angle, and also a good macro for this type of camera and why? I plan on doing lots of nature, landscapes maybe, and macro is what i really want to get into. Plus lighting is something i didn't get with my order. I figured i should learn more and take it slow. What type of lighting is best for macro work?

Im sure ill get into new lenses pretty quickly. I gotta learn it for now;). What does EF mean? by the way, and 1.6 crop? Sry im noobish. haha. For future reference, what is a good wide angle, and also a good macro for this type of camera and why? I plan on doing lots of nature, landscapes maybe, and macro is what i really want to get into. Plus lighting is something i didn't get with my order. I figured i should learn more and take it slow. What type of lighting is best for macro work?

Canon 50D or Nikon D90 are both crop frame sensor cameras. Crop frame means the size of the sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame. The D90 has a 1.5x crop factor and the Canon has a 1.6x crop factor.
Canon Rebel (APS-C)
26.82mm
22.3mm x 14.9mm
Nikon DX (APS-C)
28.40mm
23.6mm x 15.8mm
Say you were to buy a Canon 50D. That's a crop frame camera. Canon has two groups of lenses right now, EF and EF-S. EF lenses are designed for full frame cameras but can also be used on a crop frame camera such as a 50D or Rebel. The EF-S lenses are designed only for the crop frame cameras. You cannot mount a EF-S lens on a full frame body. If you want a general purpose stay-on lens for a 50D I would suggest a EF-S 15-85mm IS lens. If you want a wide angle lens Canon has a EF-S 10-22mm. If you want a macro lens I would suggest the 100mm 2.8L IS macro lens. Just remember to multiply the focal length by 1.6 for a 50D.

Most reactions

Back