Need help picking a new lens

KasparP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys!

First let me say, awesome forum. Lots of users!

Anyways, I purchase a D60 some time ago with a 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 VR lens.

The crappy plastic lens mount broke, and I havnt touched it since. Now since christmas is coming up, I want to get a new lens. I'll mostly be shooting nature and maybe a few basic family photos or whatever.

What would be the best lens for me under 200? I would most likely buy on Ebay or Craiglist, so dont be afraid to go a bit above 200(since I can find it for around that price)

Anyways, any suggestions are awesome! Thanks alot guys!

Just because your 18-55mm lens broke, the image quality for that lens is very good for the money.

You could get another one (non VR) that isn't broke for around $80.00. Then handle it more carefully. A 35mm or 50mm prime lens is fine, but 18-55m covers those focal lengths, plus some.

Happy shooting!

Just because your 18-55mm lens broke, the image quality for that lens is very good for the money.

You could get another one (non VR) that isn't broke for around $80.00. Then handle it more carefully. A 35mm or 50mm prime lens is fine, but 18-55m covers those focal lengths, plus some.

Happy shooting!

I just need a new plastic mount for it. And please dont tell me I dont take care of my stuff, if you read online - these mounts break ALL the time. Its made of wimpy plastic.

Any other suggestions?

I'll mostly be shooting nature and maybe a few basic family photos or whatever.

How about a 70-300 without VR? If you have a tripod it should work great for both your family shots and nature shots. Someone on here is selling one for small money(not me), you might have enough money left over to buy a 50mm 1.2-1.8 manual focus prime on Ebay as well.

How about a 70-300 without VR? If you have a tripod it should work great for both your family shots and nature shots. Someone on here is selling one for small money(not me), you might have enough money left over to buy a 50mm 1.2-1.8 manual focus prime on Ebay as well.

Any links? I need to give my mom a link to a place to buy a lens by tonight.

I just need a new plastic mount for it. And please dont tell me I dont take care of my stuff, if you read online - these mounts break ALL the time. Its made of wimpy plastic.
Any other suggestions?

I don't remember saying that it broke because you mishandled it, I fully understand that plastic lens mounts break, and careful handling by me, you, or anyone else, will minimize that happening once, much less recurring to the same person.

Never said that it was your fault, out of tens of thousands made, a lens mount breaking will happen here and there no matter who uses it, but now the odds are in your favor. I know few people who have had one break, don't know of anyone who has had two of them break.

Wimpy plastic and all, for the money, and to get the AF functionality on your D60, I don't know where you can beat the image quality of the 18-55mm for the $80.00 that another one would cost you. You could spend a whole lot more $$ to still have a lens that will not AF on your camera body.

Don't ask for advice if you are gonna jump someone for trying to offer it to you.

Last edited:

Any links? I need to give my mom a link to a place to buy a lens by tonight.

This is the buy/sell section here-----> Buy and Sell - The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum

This is the one I was thinking about----> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...n-tamron-75-300-f-4-5-6-2x-teleconverter.html

*********note, I don't have a clue what lenses will work on your Nikon so do your homework before your mom spends her money.

For $200 you will only be able to get another plastic mount lens again.

x2 on the 35 mm prime. It's right at that price, and if you are willing to give up the zooming and do that with your legs instead, the quality should be a huge step up.

I've decided on the 35mm. Anyone got a direct link to it? I need the best and cheapest price.

Thanks alot guys!

God forbid you use google and exert any effort yourself snowflake.
To bad I already have used google, you know - google doesnt know everything. The cheapest price I found was 199, maybe someone knows another place cheaper.

GTFO out of my thread if you are gonna be a dick.

God forbid you use google and exert any effort yourself snowflake.
To bad I already have used google, you know - google doesnt know everything. The cheapest price I found was 199, maybe someone knows another place cheaper.

GTFO out of my thread if you are gonna be a dick.

wow, touchy are we...
wanna research something, research it... you asked the question, you got answers, look it up... holy crap...
bhphotovideo.com- look there
calumetphoto.com- look there
ebay- look there
ritzcamera.com
craigslist.org
goto a damn store best buy, walmart...

Sorry, but I've about had it with this thread!

Why does it seem that almost everyone under the age of 18 has a chip on their shoulder, wants to be spoonfed, and resents getting answers to the question they asked for when they post a question like this?

If they don't like our answers, then don't ask the question....simple as that.

"Help me pick a new lens, What lens should I get, I don't want that one, Google it for me, yadda yadda yadda...."

Kid, why don't you get your mommy to find you a new lens, so when you smart off to her she can slap you.

Several people here really tried to be nice, you wouldn't let them. If you know it all, WHY ASK?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back