Need help quick!

Wilson1990

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking promo shots for a band in a few hours, they said they wanted a shot of them sitting on a bench with everyone walking around them blurry.

I think I know how to do this shot (although, I've never done one before) but i just wanted to know if anyone had any tips to help me?

I know i'll need a slowish shutter speed to achive this, but i was thinking of using 2 photos? One with the band members sitting down and one without, and then stitch them together to keep them in focus?

Come on people! help me!

Not extremely, the shutter speed wont have to be that long.

First option?

There is only one option... speak from experence... and that means PRACTICE and do it BEFORE YOU GO THERE.

75% of the time becuase people are NOT prepared, they fail. Thats a little statistic for you. ;)

The concept is foreground is static, background moves. You want a slow shutter speed. Tripod is mandatory.

If it was me, I would blur on 2 levels... motion and bokeh, but that adds another layer of complexity which since I do not know your level of experience, would not otherwise suggest.

You could try it in post processing if you are good at it?

An extreme example and maybe not the best,, but here is a thought:

2212624523_27aae3eb7f.jpg

A single picture with 2 layers, one motion blurred one clear. Blur foreground, mask and paint over the clear background to the front.

Not extremely, the shutter speed wont have to be that long.

About 1/16 to 1/2 a second. It would depend on how much motion blur you want.

I could see this as being a very cool experiment!

From the photographic standpoint, I would personally want to do this in ONE shot, and it is very possible, however, 2 shots and PPing would work as well.

In the single shot EVERYTHING STATIC except the people in back moving would be clear. In the PPing 2 layers, EVERYTHING is blurred except the band members. It depends on what effect you want to acheive.

If in doubt... do them both!

@JerryPH

No, they want the people walking by blurred, everything else in focus, example:

2092829971_43123b3cb3.jpg

Photo by Liam Leslie

Thats the simpler way but takes a little more setup time.

I presume you will have a chance to do more than 1 single shot?

Setup, ask a few people to walk into the frame as the band stays as motionless as psosible (but place them in an energetic pose, not looking bored on the bench!))... take 3-4 shots and vary shuter speed in each one... and very likely ISO or aperture to maintain proper exposure.

An intereting thing to do in these kinds of shots is vary height. Take a picture from a step ladder, take a pic while on your knees or even stomach. See what works best for you.

Good luck, and don't forget to post the results here! :D

800px-AM_Glasgow_Central.JPG

This is where the photo will be taken (Glasgow Central Station) I'm thinkin' the members will sitting on the farthest set of benches to the right but facing left.

And yes I do have enough time for more than one shot, but i'm afraid a step ladder is out of the question.

Its for their EP "Arrive to Depart" by Placement for the Understatment

Most reactions

Back