Need help, taking trip to Alaska

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I will be going on a cruise to Alaska in June. I will be doing many excursions that will take me to some remote places such as in forests and even on top of a glacier. I want to take some awesome photos when I'm there. I am very new to photography and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on techniques or anything for nature shots and what not. Also any tips on shotting wild life such as birds or bears. My parents already have gone on a cruise to Alaska and said they saw a lot of bald eagles which i think would be amazing to get a picture of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have an Olympus E-410 DSLR and a 70-300 mm lens too.

Last edited:
That's one cruise I would like to go on. I heard it's very scenic. For a beginner into Photography, just set your camera on "P" mode and shoot. If you need flash, turn on your flash and shoot. You never did mention what type of camera you have, so I am suggesting it's a DSLR. Have fun!

All I have to say I'm mad crazy jealous I've wanted to go to Alaska for like 3 years now.

Yes correct. It is a Olympus E-410. I have a 70-300 mm lens too.

Okay, I just googled your camera and it's a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) and it has a maximum resolution of 3648 x 2736 which is roughly a 10 Mega Pixel camera. For scenic shots, I suggest you shoot at your highest resolution, unless you want to go lower. Do you know how to use your camera?

Yeah. At least somewhat. I'm pretty new but I roughly understand shutter speed and aperature and iso setting. Not a whole ton but enough I guess. I'm not totally new haha.

Just take a few memory cards and shoot, shoot, shoot.
How you shoot depends on how comfortable you are with your camera and what it is you are shooting.
I personally would probably spend my time in Manual and Aperture Priority. Maybe pick up a gray card for some custom white balances while shooting difficult scenes.

When shooting, go pick between your "Story telling Apertures" & "Isolation Apertures" wisely, or hell, shoot both and pick later.

Remember that the shots are free with digital, so shoot away and pay later when sorting them.

I would suggest using Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night Scene and Portrait modes instead of using the camera on automatic mode. Do you know how to focus?

Like automate focus that the camera does. What exactly is a grey card?

Well, it's a neutral gray card with 18% reflectance. It's used to set your white balance in your camera manually, for a proper representation of color and exposure.

I suggest reading topics #1 & 2 from "Dominantly". It's well explained. After reading that you shouldn't have any problem. Good luck on your trip and remember to shoot anything.

I'm from AK and I find it very amusing when forests and glaciers are considered "remote".

As for shooting, just know the limitations of your camera, make sure everything is in focus , and follow the basic composition "rules" and you'll do fine.

Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure to shoot tons of photos. Hopefully I can catch something that actually looks good haha.

You really don't want to go on that cruise. Alaska sucks!! There is nothing to photography anywhere in AK. Just kidding!! Everywhere you look is a pontential photo. If you are taking a laptop with take a 500 gig external hard drive and a half dozen memory cards. What you will also want a rain cover for your camera gear, it rains here ALOT. As far as photographing wildlife there are dumpster buzzards (bald eagles) everywhere. If you are going photograph bears make sure you take someone with you and also make sure that you can out run that person. Have fun on your trip and take your camera everywhere you go.

If you are going photograph bears make sure you take someone with you and also make sure that you can out run that person.

I totally LOL'd at this! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back