Need Help using MANUAL FOCUS

Cool G5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gauravlive.com
I have been enjoying photography & as expected I learnt MANUAL was the place where I could compose the shot the way I want it to. Though I have got a good grasp of MANUAL mode but still I allow camera to AUTO-FOCUS instead of using MANUAL FOCUS. The reason behind this is, I am still not apt at getting good focussed shots with MANUAL FOCUS. I only know when you need to shoot SKY or distant objects, one should set the MANUAL FOCUS to infinity. :( For other shots, I end up rotating the wheel on my camera till I see the edges to be clear of my subject. I am unable to get how to focus under MANUAL MODE. Please help me on how to set & use MANUAL FOCUS. I use Canon SX 100 IS which is a P&S Camera..

On a point and shoot you don't get the option to manual focus. With a SLR camera and a zoom lense you can adjust the focal length of the lense. Between infite and the minimum focal distance (my 70-200m is about 1.2m, while my stock lense is around 0.26m).

Point shoot is all auto-focus.

I might be wrong, correct me if I am, but I think this about right.

I've tried to manually focus my DSLR by looking just at the LCD screen and I find it almost impossible. And that's inside...

From the reviews I'm reading about your camera, it seems like the LCD is not very high resolution and I would think that is the problem.

Now, I wear glasses and that may be part of my problem except I don't seem to have a problem when focusing through the view finder.

I have a feeling that with your camera, you may be better off not using the manual focusing.

canon powershot g10 has a manual focus option...

though i never got around to work it properly .. lol

(tis owned by a friend of mine)

I've tried to manually focus my DSLR by looking just at the LCD screen and I find it almost impossible. And that's inside...

From the reviews I'm reading about your camera, it seems like the LCD is not very high resolution and I would think that is the problem.

Now, I wear glasses and that may be part of my problem except I don't seem to have a problem when focusing through the view finder.

I have a feeling that with your camera, you may be better off not using the manual focusing.

Not sure what camera you have but on Canon you can half press the shutter button and you will get confirmation when it is in focus

Most reactions

Back