Need help w/ Green Cat pic's thanks:)

ive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trying to take pictures of a neighbor's cat and for some reason 1/2 the pictures I took of it, have a Green look to them. need help to figure out what I'm doing wrong. This was about 10am very sunny day so I thought if anything it would be over exposed. thanks for help in figuring this out. also should I just scrap these pictures and retake them???

2641309086_96fc50c90c.jpg

2641309078_7fee2af902.jpg

For your nikon, there should be a white balance setting. You might have an assigned setting that differs from what setting you were shooting in. For example, you might be shooting in low light, but choose a setting for the sun. Try to see what setting it is in, and change it to auto or to the setting which would be ideal for what you are in.

Also you could take the photos into photoshop and change the color balance to fix the ones you already took.

Well, that can't be fixed in-camera .. maybe if you take the pictures with Auto White Balance, and the camera will try to take a perfectly white balanced picture. That green tint was because the light was bouncing from the grass and leaves surrounding the cat.

But this is not the end of the world, it's very simple to edit it in a photo editing software, like Photoshop, Elements, etc...

You could do that very easy in this image by selecting curves and then choosing a white point in your image, in your case the fur of the cat. You could do that with levels as well. And can make additional changes in the Color balance.
Look with what i came up(still a little green, i was in a little hurry :) ):

264130908696fc50c90cvd8.jpg

I redid it in gimp.
I hit "auto white balance" and it removed SOME of the green.
Then I took it and had to mess with the color balance.
Messing with color balance gets tricky for me, though, because my eyes start playing games with me when it comes to color balance.
This is what I came up with, though. I had to add a lot of magenta and red to get rid of that green.
cat.jpg

So...if it looks to red or magenta, that is why. I think it looks ok, but like I said, my eyes start playing games when it comes to color balancing.

When outside, I always use Auto white balance with my D60.
You could choose "Sunny" or "shade" or whatever seems most appropriate for whatever lighting you're in, but I always find Auto works best for me.

Of course there are ways to edit out the green tint.
But I am not sure that was the question, but what the OP "did wrong" in the first place. But now I see that KhronoS already gave the answer:

KhronoS said:
That green tint was because the light was bouncing from the grass and leaves surrounding the cat.

That's exactly what happened, and because things like this do happen, there is nothing wrong with applying a bit of post processing software to the photos in order to set things right again ;).

Nice examples of possible edits here! :D

you guys rock!!! thank you for taking time not only answering my very broad question(sorry) but also helping editing. lol I'm horrible w/ editing and now I have features on the d60 where it does editing right on the camera. but being new i'm super scared of messing w/ anything;). Love all the pics and if its ok going to copy and save to my computer and print the ones you guys took time to edit. Thank you again!!! sorry first time I could take a min. to read and respond to post:)Little man is on the go 24/7 and have to literally pick him up and make him take a nap else I think he'd never realize he was tired hehe. thanks again :)

Very nice examples of photo edit. Nice kitty too. I think the pictures are beautiful.

Most reactions

Back