Need help w/ strobist gear

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking into doing some strobist work. I have a 430ex right now. I just purchased a set of Cactus v4's with an additional receiver. So I need another flash. Someone had told me that a vivatar 285HV would work great.

So if anyone can give me some advice on what they think I should buy. The following is what I think I need:

1)Another flash
2)2 stands
3)something that holds the flash onto the stand
4) soft boxes/ umbrellas

If there is another route you guys think I should take then please recommend that. If not if you guys could just tell me what brands would be the best "bang for my buck" Not looking to spend too much but also not looking for equipment that is going to break in a week. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Some stands can be bought as a kit, and for that you get an umbrella and adaptor to mount your flash and umbrella. More bang for your buck there. As for umbrellas, I would suggest getting convertible ones. I find that I use the shoot-through most of the time. The point of an umbrella is getting lots of soft light with tons of spill; the shoot-through can be put even closer and generate even softer light than a reflective, while staying out-of-frame.

You may also wish to consider getting a boom at some point in future so you have a C-stand complete, and can put the flash above a subject easily. Also, when getting stands, remember that even with lil' speedlites, you're going to want some way of weighing them down.

thanks for the information. Do you have a brand or a kit that you recommend? One that is fairly good and fairly well priced as well. I've looked into the booms and they are really pricey...

Nah, not really (brands; perhaps others can provide a comprehensive list of solid names; my gear holds up well). My stands are Cameron stands; came in a kit with white reflective umbrellas. They hold-up well. My C-stand complete is a Mafrotto and boom, and cost $169.99 CDN for both stand and boom (I bought the stand at Lens and Shutter here in Vancouver, but here it is on Amazon so you know what I'm talking about). So a tad pricey, but having it there can be exceptionally handy (though balancing the weight of the boom is a little tricky without heavy weights at the bottom).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you go to Midwest Photo Exchange:

Strobist

They have a section of "Strobist" items. They also have a variety of kits that include everything you might find on the Strobist site and you can even choose wether you want flashes with the kits or not.

I've been to the strobist website. The problem I am having is that I want something that will work for now, but to possibly upgrade 1 of the umbrellas to a softbox in the near future. Is the clamp that holds the umbrella going to work for the softbox? I was thinking about getting hte ezybox. However it is like 60 more with a clamp. Should I just get a stand and umbrella for now from MPEX? or should I get the kit from BH thats around a 100 dollars for 2 stands and umbrellas?

I'm looking into doing some strobist work. I have a 430ex right now. I just purchased a set of Cactus v4's with an additional receiver. So I need another flash. Someone had told me that a vivatar 285HV would work great.

So if anyone can give me some advice on what they think I should buy. The following is what I think I need:

1)Another flash
2)2 stands
4) soft boxes/ umbrellas

If there is another route you guys think I should take then please recommend that. If not if you guys could just tell me what brands would be the best "bang for my buck" Not looking to spend too much but also not looking for equipment that is going to break in a week. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone

Did you get a hotshoe adapter for the 430EX? It doesn't have a PC port for you to connect the triggers directly to.

So if not:
Hot shoe adapter for 430EX - $??
285HV - $90
2x light stands - $40
2x umbrella adapters - $30
2x Westcott 43" shoot through umbrellas - $40

That's the cheapest I could recommend. roughly $190 for everything.

1)Another flash
2)2 stands
4) soft boxes/ umbrellas

Did you get a hotshoe adapter for the 430EX? It doesn't have a PC port for you to connect the triggers directly to.

So if not:
Hot shoe adapter for 430EX - $??
285HV - $90
2x light stands - $40
2x umbrella adapters - $30
2x Westcott 43" shoot through umbrellas - $40

That's the cheapest I could recommend. roughly $190 for everything.

WAIT WHAT??!??!!
I thought that the cactus v4 connects directly to the hotshoe on my 430ex?? From what I've read and been told until now I had assumed that I would be ok with just attaching the cactus receiver straight to the 430 without buying anything.

You don't have to buy anything extra. I use CactusV4's attached directly to the shoes of my 580EXII's and 550EX all the time.

You don't have to buy anything extra. I use CactusV4's attached directly to the shoes of my 580EXII's and 550EX all the time.

Thats what I thought thanks!!! have you heard anything good or bad about the gadget infinity softbox kit? I'm looking into getting that and the umbrella kit from BH photo. Let me know.

I've been to the strobist website. The problem I am having is that I want something that will work for now, but to possibly upgrade 1 of the umbrellas to a softbox in the near future. Is the clamp that holds the umbrella going to work for the softbox? I was thinking about getting hte ezybox. However it is like 60 more with a clamp. Should I just get a stand and umbrella for now from MPEX? or should I get the kit from BH thats around a 100 dollars for 2 stands and umbrellas?

The link that I posted was for Midwest Photo Exchange and they have a whole section of Strobist gear.

Thats what I thought thanks!!! have you heard anything good or bad about the gadget infinity softbox kit? I'm looking into getting that and the umbrella kit from BH photo. Let me know.

The Cactus triggers are fine for manual mode OCF, but they're cheaply constructed. You can probably expect the same cheap construction in their other products, and for that reason, I would look elsewhere for lighting accessories. Anything that has light shot though it must not have a colour-cast; I'm doubtful that Gadget Infinity would take much care in this regard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back