NEED HELP: want to upgrade to my 1st d-slr

For action shots...I'd say, just try it with what ever lens you get to start with. A wider maximum aperture is always better but maybe not necessary. If you find that your shutter speeds are too slow for action shots...then you can consider a lens with a wider aperture.

The built-in flashes are not great. They are just too close to the lens. Maybe look into a Nikon flash unit.

Nothing wrong with SD cards. It's just that most top end cameras use CF cards...so if you ever upgrade...you would need all new cards. Don't worry about it...SD cards will be fine.

I still don't know d & g...I think the D has something to do with distance...maybe the lens will tell the camera the focus distance or something. I think g is the most basic Nikkor lens...not sure though.

Illah said:
I'm pretty sure 'G' means no aperture ring, you need to set it in camera. Not sure about 'D' though (maybe it has an aperture ring?).

--Illah

You are correct on both counts...

I have 2 Nikon "D" lenses, 28-105 and 70-210 and they have aperture rings.

Big Mike said:
Nothing wrong with SD cards. It's just that most top end cameras use CF cards...so if you ever upgrade...you would need all new cards. Don't worry about it...SD cards will be fine.
I did not want to imply that SD cards are bad this is not what I was trying to say. Personally, this would sway me from buying the D80 but that is only because I see at least a D200 in my future if not a D2X but I shoot weddings Probably 20-50 a year and need a high performance body and to be able to keep my original body as a backup and so I don't have to buy all new memory. And to clarify the G designation is for lenses made for digital SLRs D means the lens provides distance information to help with your exposure. Originally if a lens had the "G" designation you could pretty much bet it was a piece of crap but now the 17-55 2.8 is a "G" as well as several other high quality lenses. I think a good combination for you to start out with would be a good body the D80 or mabye the D200 if you get a 50mm 1.8 depending on your budget you might be able to afford this combination and the shots you named the 50 would be a great one to capture this as well as being a sharp lens.

all of you have been really helpful and i truly appreciate it. thanks! :)

i have a better understanding now and can narrow it down alot better to what will work for me. thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back