Need Help with a Title and Critique Please.

It's gaussian blur. It looks smooth becuase it is over the entire image, except the eyes.

Okay as promised here are my edits. All I really did as to apply the filters/actions I mentioned earlier; no other work was done. I tried a few black and whites but they didn't turn out much better than what you had already done so I omitted them. I included two sepias though, one was done by the Optikverve Labs filter plugin and the other was done using the default photoshop sepia action.

First, the midnight sepia action. All I did was press play.
rylee4critiqmo6_mns_dark.jpg

Same action (midnight sepia) but with the top layer adjusted a little bit to let some light through:

rylee4critiqmo6_mns_light.jpg

And now the sepia filter from Optikverve labs:

rylee4critiqmo6_sepia_ov.jpg

And the default Sepia action included with photoshop:
rylee4critiqmo6_sepia_ps.jpg

Hope they are helpful.

Such a cute pic....I couldnt resist.

Here is my bw edit....
rylee4critiqmo6.jpg

Okay as promised here are my edits. All I really did as to apply the filters/actions I mentioned earlier; no other work was done. I tried a few black and whites but they didn't turn out much better than what you had already done so I omitted them. I included two sepias though, one was done by the Optikverve Labs filter plugin and the other was done using the default photoshop sepia action.

First, the midnight sepia action. All I did was press play.
rylee4critiqmo6_mns_dark.jpg

Same action (midnight sepia) but with the top layer adjusted a little bit to let some light through:

rylee4critiqmo6_mns_light.jpg

And now the sepia filter from Optikverve labs:

rylee4critiqmo6_sepia_ov.jpg

And the default Sepia action included with photoshop:
rylee4critiqmo6_sepia_ps.jpg

Hope they are helpful.

Awesome !! WOW.. I still cant figure out how to get this on photoshop.

Hey zen,

The eyes are very beautiful! What a cutie. Although there are some good edits in this thread, I would also try to go back and get some more shots with the eyes in focus. She deserves to be photographed some more. ;-)

Nice job my friend. :)

NJ

heip's edit is the winner, such a cutie and beautiful eyes (knock on wood).

Thanks all ! Stupid question. I have a hard time focusing on both eyes. Typically I get 1 in focus not the other. I have a D200 is it a setting I need to change?

Thanks all ! Stupid question. I have a hard time focusing on both eyes. Typically I get 1 in focus not the other. I have a D200 is it a setting I need to change?

I dont shoot nikon but I assume you have focus points that light up when focusing on your subject. What I do is distance myself just enough so that the eyes are lined up almost exactly on the 2 focus points just below the top one. This usually gives me razor sharp eyes as a result. Does that make sense?

NJ

I dont shoot nikon but I assume you have focus points that light up when focusing on your subject. What I do is distance myself just enough so that the eyes are lined up almost exactly on the 2 focus points just below the top one. This usually gives me razor sharp eyes as a result. Does that make sense?

NJ

I'm going to try that..all my focus points line up. Maybe I need to get closer

Ah I'm sorry if my post was a bit confusing ND, I would help with the actions if you tell me which step you're stuck on (or "right from the beginning" is fine too, I'll have to try to take it a step at a time perhaps with screenshots.

Either focus on one if they are in the same plane parallel to your sensor plane, both should be in focus. If they aren't parallel then focus on the inner edge (tear duct edge) of the closer eye to you, if they are still not both in focus, stop down your lens one stop for a more forgiving DOF, to keep both in focus. For example in this case it would have been better to have focused on her left eye rather than the right since the left seems to be closer to you. As a rule of thumb there's more DOF behind (towards infinity) your focal point than there is in front (towards you) of it IIRC.

I edited the above paragraph after I re-read it to make more sense, and slipped on which eye seems to be closer, D'OH.

Most reactions

Back