need help with alternative developing

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by Ima Gitcha, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Ima Gitcha

Ima Gitcha TPF Noob!

I have experimented with coffee and developing a print. Basically after teh wash bath letting prints sit in black coffee for hours to get an aged look and feel. At this time i am playing around with photograms and would like to experiment with color via food coloring. Any suggestions, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ima

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I dont have a clue but I have thought about using different dyes myself. Haven't tried it yet though. I was thinking easter egg dye. They have little formulas for just about any color. I have no idea if it would work or not. Might could even dye your stop bath with that stuff. They used vinigar once as a base for easter egg dye.

3. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Are you developing the prints in Coffee? (Don't laugh folks, "Caffenol" has been a "home-brew" film developer for years.) Or are you trying to stain them with a good soak?

If you're trying to change the color, you can use toners, which are relatively inexpensive, in addition to being fast and effective. Berg makes a line of just about every color you could want, and you can even split tone. There are also the more traditional sepia, selenium, and gold toners, among others.

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I'm not clear on what you're doing, either. You developed in coffee (as James described) or you "toned" in coffee?

You can certainly get a color shift with coffee, or tea, the strength of the brew and the type of paper, type fixer, etc, will all come into play. It's not toning so much as it is dyeing. You can still mask off areas where you want no color shift, as with regular toning; it's fun. You can get a lovely shade of sepia.

I've only done a little bit of dyeing in this manner, using organic materials. Unlike so many toners, it does little to enhance the archival qualities of the print, so I'm too chicken to spend a lot of time on that. Still - they can look awesome.

I'd love to see your work! Can you scan it and show it to us here? :)

5. zombiekilla

zombiekilla TPF Noob!

Id love to hear more about this! How and what types of paper?

6. Ima Gitcha

Ima Gitcha TPF Noob!

i apologize i meant I have toned photographs.
    [​IMG]
    digitally colored

[​IMG]

coffee toned

7. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    neat, what kind of paper how long did you tone it.

8. Ima Gitcha

Ima Gitcha TPF Noob!

dont laugh chick fil a black coffee for about an hour on Ilford mutigrade matte finish.

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wonder how it does on rc...

10. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I brewed regular strength coffee, let it cool, and poured it into an 8x10 tray. I had Agfa MC 118 paper, a FB paper, but, as Ima Gitcha says, Ilford will work - pretty much any regular photographic paper that takes well to toning will take well to dyeing.

Charlie, you'll see varying results, I'd guess, between FB and RC, as with toner, but no reason it won't take just as nicely. And you can do it by eye, pull it out and inspect it at 5-10 minute intervals till you get the shade you want.

This is the only print I have scanned where I did this. It started as a straight bromoil print that I decided to add color to. I dyed it with coffee as above and, once dried, added some chalks. I masked the letters and when I peeled the mask, all the lith inks pulled off, too, leaving the letters very stark white.

[​IMG]

Ima Gitcha - that second image is gorgeous! I might save the time of brewing next time and just buy a few cups like that, too. Very nice print! :)

11. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks terry I just finished some daylight contact prints Im just playing with them I think I'll soak them and see what happens... They are on arista rc

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I painted on this by hand (watercolor) then decided it looked better as a negative.[​IMG]

If you want to see how it looked take it to you editor and reverse the colors.