Need help with an odd question

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by stone_family3, Jan 11, 2010.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I want to make "spirit photographs" I want to pretty much expose the negative twice but my problem is matching up the back grounds. So If I cut out the person shape in a black piece of paper and then just photographed the person in the photo. Then photographed say a picture of my Husband would that work.

I just want the "spirit" standing behind him in the distance.

I'm just afraid the background of the old photograph would show up to much.

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If I understand correctly, the trick is to use a dead [sorry!] black background and a tripod. Shoot the subject at normal exposure. Then cock the shutter without re-winding the film and shoot the 'spirit' in a blank portion of the frame with perhaps 1/2 to 1/4 normal exposure. Trial and error will get the density of the 'spirit' image adjusted to your liking.

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Classic "spirit photography", as it was practiced in the mid-19th century, was accomplished by making a double exposure with the "spirit" in only one of the two exposures. The camera would be securely mounted on a tripod so that nothing in the two shots aligned perfectly. Also, care must be taken to see that nothing in the scene moves (e.g. wind blown leaves, a non-spirit person, ...).

Generally, the two exposures would be equal, each one stop under exposed. This would leave a faint, partially transparent ghostly image of the "spirit". By shifting the exposures slightly one way or the other (e.g. one shot two stops under and one only 1/2 stop under) the faintness of the "spirit" could be increases or decreased.