Need help with buying a wide angle lens for Canon EOS xti

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by naiagirl, Jan 14, 2009.

1. naiagirl

naiagirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    I'm fairly new to the technical part of photography and I need some help with buying a wide angle lens for my Canon EOS Rebel xti (digital). My friend is a realtor and will pay me to take pictures of his homes but says I need a wide angle lens. My local camera shop today told me I should by the 10-22mm Canon lens for $799! They said anything else I buy would basically be junk and a waste of money. Does anyone have any suggestions on a wide lens I could buy for less money to get me started on this job? I don't have the $800 right now and I've seen a lot of other lenses out there that are much less, as little as $30 on Ebay but I have no idea what to get. Please help!!!

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Canon 10-22mm lens...it's fantastic. The Sigma is also a good lens and somewhat less expensive.

The $30 'wide angle lenses' that you are seeing on Ebay are cheap adapters/filters that screw onto your existing lens. They can give you a wide angle view but the quality won't be nearly as good as a true wide angle lens.

4. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should totally get a Sigma 10-20. I am saving to buy one myself and a friend of mine bought it right before Christmas and the pictures she took are just amazing.

You can find some amazing pics taken with that lens in here and here