NEED HELP WITH BUYING NEW CAMERA

guitrgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys i wanted to know if this package is good for a beginner.

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon D70 Digital SLR Body - Factory Demo with: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon EN-EL3 Rechargeable Battery [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon MH-18 Quick Charger [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MS-D70 Battery Holder[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]USB Cable (PC &Mac) [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Video Cable [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LCD Cover [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon Body Cap [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon Wide Digital Strap[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon PictureProject 1.0 Software CD[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction Booklets [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blank Warranty Card[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Factory Demo with:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon Front & Rear Lens Caps[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction Booklet[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blank Warranty Card[/FONT]
  • 1-Year Subscription to PCPhoto Magazine
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30 Free High Quality Prints and Enlargements[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microfiber Cleaning Cloth [/FONT]
Current bid is US $152.36

I would expect to see this go up to $750 - $1000. Does the seller have a good reputation? Return policy? Reputation? These are the "common sense" questions about your find. As far as the package for a beginner, it looks decent. Good luck!

You can get a new D70s for a price that is going to be very close to what this package will eventually be bid up to. I'd also recommend the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S DX Nikkor over the 18-55mm. The D70s comes with the 18-70mm in it's kit, not the 18-55mm, so that is a bit odd. Be very, very careful about who you buy from online. There are a lot of crooked camera shops out there, check on www.resellerratings.com to get an idea of who you are dealing with. B&H Photo is a safe place to buy, good prices and fast shipping.
I'm not a fan of used gear so I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard somewhere that Nikon doesn't have factory demos. I believe they are dealer demos or used equipment that has been refurbished by Nikon. Cameta Camera does this and I've heard good things about dealing with them.

If you can swing it, buy new. Unless you can get it in your hands, stay away from used right now.

dsp921 said:
The D70s comes with the 18-70mm in it's kit, not the 18-55mm, so that is a bit odd. Be very, very careful about who you buy from online.

Good point. And isn't the 18-55mm the offered kit lens for the Canon Rebels (300D and 350D)? Not the Nikon... Yup, better check that out carefully.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The irminsul is a common symbol of the Asatru faith.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The irminsul was a solar-phallic pillar used in religious worship practices by early Anglo-Saxons, and destroyed by Charlemagne in 772 AD It's exact meaning is unknown, although it may be connected with the Anglo-saxon deity Irmin, who is possibly related to the Norse God Tyr (a theory supported by the shape of the runeletter tyr). The Irminsul was likely related to the World Tree Yggdrasil, a symbol of the axis mundi (world axis), a symbol of man and the cosmos. Welcome and cool name!
[/FONT]

Irminsul said:
Good point. And isn't the 18-55mm the offered kit lens for the Canon Rebels (300D and 350D)? Not the Nikon... Yup, better check that out carefully.

Nikon also has a Nikkor 18-55mm, but it comes in the D50 kit.

Dave_D said:
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The irminsul is a common symbol of the Asatru faith.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The irminsul was a solar-phallic pillar used in religious worship practices by early Anglo-Saxons, and destroyed by Charlemagne in 772 AD It's exact meaning is unknown, although it may be connected with the Anglo-saxon deity Irmin, who is possibly related to the Norse God Tyr (a theory supported by the shape of the runeletter tyr). The Irminsul was likely related to the World Tree Yggdrasil, a symbol of the axis mundi (world axis), a symbol of man and the cosmos. Welcome and cool name!
[/FONT]

Thank you for the welcome greetings, O learned one. Thou hast revealed my Godhead. (Lol) Irminsul was indeed the Column of Heaven, and I believe the dread deity of the Druids. (See Bellini's Opera "Norma.")

Most reactions

Back