need help with d810 and 50mm

WAEL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I just got my D810 and I tried to use my " AF 50mm f/1.8 D on it but it doesn't work. is that len not for full frame? but It is work great on my D7100.

Doesn't work in what way? Presumably you are getting an image.

A thought: Nikon use two different auto-focus systems. If it is focussing you mean, your lens focus system does not match you camera body focus system.

ok Thanks I figured out that problem

I locked the smallest ( f22) aperture in place using the tiny black slider switch on the right side of the lens. I had 2 days to solve this issue.

A thought: Nikon use two different auto-focus systems. If it is focussing you mean, your lens focus system does not match you camera body focus system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Nikon AF (D) lenses do not have an auto focus (AF) motor in the lens like Nikon AF-S lens do. The S stands for the Silent Wave Motor in the lens that moves the focusing mechanics in the lens.

Your D810 has an auto focus motor and screw-drive system in the camera body that is used to focus AF lenses.
When you mount an AF-S lens to the D810 that auto focus motor and screw-drive system is not used. Instead the AF motor in the lens is used.

However, AF is controlled by electronics in the camera. Both AF and AF-S lenses have a electronics in them that report needed AF information to the auto focus module electronics in the camera. For example the D in AF (D) stands for the Distance information the lens reports back to the auto focus module electronics in the camera.

KmH thank you for your response and your experience. I understand you now.

You can enable or disable the Aperture Ring of your lens in the Custom Settings Menu.

On my D750 that would be "f5 - Customize command dials" and then "Aperture Setting" which confusingly is set to "ON" if you have disabled the aperture dial on your lens.

I vote for this for the best hidden setting on Nikon DSLRs. I literally have searched for this setting for like a quarter hour before asking google before.

Very likely your D7100 is set to "OFF", so you can use the aperture ring just fine, while the D810 is set to "ON", so you have to set the aperture to minimum and use the command dial instead.

Dude, not cool. This posting is just confusing as heck plus its outright wrong and not helpful at all.

Both D7100 and D810 support AF lenses, that certainly wasnt the issue.

Most reactions

Back