Need help with editing a panoramic....

UncleSteve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevenhoustonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are still some areas of the photo I am working on, however my main concern is the long light reflection that travels horizontally through the water. About three quarters across the photo the light does a stair step twice. How do I get the light to line up from the stitched photos? Thanks for the help.

If you have any other information that might help with the processing that would be great as well!

The original file is well over 30Mb so this is much smaller....but you can get the idea.

Attachments

• Test number 2.jpg
    Test number 2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 144
Some of your buildings are not vertical.

What software are you using, and does it have the ability to correct for this before the stitch?

The stairstepping might be correctable before the stitch, but it depends on the software. Otherwise, you may have to correct it manually after the fact.

Last edited:
In Photoshop, I'd have it retain the individual, masked photos as layers, so that I could manipulate the edges individually, by masking, unmasking, warping, cloning, stamping, or even painting if it came to that, but they're fairly small areas, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

As Sparky mentioned, it's not 100% horizontal yet, so the buildings are leaning slightly left. If they're still not 100% vertical after dealing with the horizon, there are a couple of ways to deal with it.

If instead you'd like to run it again, I'd recommend trying a set of photos that are each 100% horizontal when it comes to the light streaks. Also, do you use any sort of software to correct for the lens distortion? Photoshop and Lightroom both do a good job with it, especially Lightroom right now. I'd use that on them first as well.

I use photoshop and lightroom at the moment. When taking the panoramic I had to use something less stable that I would have liked so the originals "dive" off to the right. I have attempted to fix the vertical buildings first and then stitch them together, however that causes the horizon to "curve." This has been a very challenging photo with the edits and I am contemplating going back to the sight and retry with a more level base. I am also feeling the lighting is a bit blown out...do you agree

I corrected the leaning-to-port buildings and the corresponding reflections. I also simply copied and pasted an area adjacent to the stair steps and corrected the perspective of the pasted layer before flattening. A little touch-up with a 50%-opacity heal tool made it all better.

Corrected%20Pano%201.jpg

Last edited:
I use photoshop and lightroom at the moment. When taking the panoramic I had to use something less stable that I would have liked so the originals "dive" off to the right. I have attempted to fix the vertical buildings first and then stitch them together, however that causes the horizon to "curve." This has been a very challenging photo with the edits and I am contemplating going back to the sight and retry with a more level base. I am also feeling the lighting is a bit blown out...do you agree

I use AutoPano Giga, and it allows me to straighten every building, and then reset the horizon if needed. All before the stitch is done.

Some pixels are pure white, but they're so small an area I don't see an issue with it.

I'll second Autopano Giga, well worth the price. I frequently stitch 200+ image composites, no way photoshop will do it, even on my 8 core 32gb editing workstation. Autopano "just works".

I will have to really consider autopano then. I know my "largest" pano at the moment was 9 photos on the grand canon from a helicopter and I really want it to have justice done. I must ask, what do you take 200+ pictures of? sounds really interesting.

It was part of a project I did when I had my gallery. Full size images (8' tall) of graffiti, shot with a gigapan pro head. For those who know St. Louis, there's a flood control wall that runs for a few miles, graffiti/street art heaven.

When the final images were mounted to the wall,using wheat paste of course, you actually had to walk up and touch them to verify they weren't real.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back