need help with group shot tomorrow

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone tomorrow I have to take a picture of the student council. It will be in a gymnasium thats poorly lit.(at an ISO of 500 I was at F/5.6 1/40)

So I was wondering what setup I will get the best picture from? There will be around 20-30 students and they will be sitting on bleachers. So I was thinking of these setups:

I could use my D50- with a higher megapixle count, or my D2H- which is more professional.

Then I will be using a flash, I could use a on camera flash (my D50 can use a ITTL flash, and my D2H uses a manual vivitar 285HV) -or- put the flash (the 285 as the ITTL doesn't work on cactus V2's) as high as possible on a light stand and fire it remotely.

So what do you guys recommend?

And later I will take pictures of the representatives (smaller group) but I will probably use the off camera flash and diffuse if with a bounce umbrella.

Just remember when using flash that you need to get an even exposure across the group. Use a tripod & remote release with a slow shutter speed like 1/40th. Should be ok with a wide lens but just to be sure a tripod should be used.

I agree with your setup for the smaller groups. But again I'd still use the tripod (unless you want to under expose the background a bit giving you a faster SS)

yeah I was hoping that the flash would cover allot of the group so I could bump the shutter speed to around 1/50 or 1/60 b/c Ill be using my 55-200 with VR so the shutter can go down to around 1/30 while at 55mm.

And do you think that having the flash higher up than the camera would reduce the shadow thats cast on the people in the back?

and do you think it would be too harsh to use the bare strobe, because it probably wouldn't be worth it to use the umbrella on the group shot? right?

yeah I was hoping that the flash would cover allot of the group so I could bump the shutter speed to around 1/50 or 1/60 b/c Ill be using my 55-200 with VR so the shutter can go down to around 1/30 while at 55mm.

And do you think that having the flash higher up than the camera would reduce the shadow thats cast on the people in the back?

and do you think it would be too harsh to use the bare strobe, because it probably wouldn't be worth it to use the umbrella on the group shot? right?

Yes having the flash higher will throw shadows down behind the people. You could use the on-camera flash fopr a little fill if required.

The brolly would spread the light more - Larger light source softer light - but you may need to bump up the power a bit or use FEC.

Try both to see what you think.

thank again!

Yeah the pop up flash on the d50 wont pop up with a cactus trigger attached. So I have a small old sunpack one that just fires maximum but that will probably go on the hot shoe. And I have the trigger attached to a pc cord and firing the vivtar with an umbrella.

This is probably the most technical shot I ever made, wish me luck!

Also remember that you need to gel the flash to match the ambient light, unless you have enough power to nuke the room. Which it sounds like you don't. Otherwise there will be an ambient color temperature cast in all the shadows.

I've shot basketball games in there and it's so poorly lit I don't need any gel (I couldn't tell the diference). But thanks for the reminder!

Well I got the shots. Not everyone came so they wanted to take them another day also. So thats good for both of us. When I get home Ill edit them but these are out of the camera:

4075433280_624575e8c9.jpg

4075403370_90232f4671.jpg

4074648845_4210a1f26d.jpg

Yep, more light in back is needed. Usually, with limited equipment, just a big bang from the camera will do the job.
Technically, it is not a difficult picture, don't overthink the job.
Being in charge and keeping their attention is, often, the most difficult part of a group pic. But, it looks like you did just fine in that regard.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have used and umbrella. But I had it set up for a smaller group and had like 5min. So it will be nice not having it on next time.

lol @ the what im guessing is senior class being less than 50 people, ours is 600 :p

No that's our student council. Our senior class is around 400-500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back