Need Help with Hasselblad Pricing

Charming is a good way to describe them haha. On any note keep us in the loop of what the seller says. If this deal does not work out I would seriously consider thinking about assembling one piece by piece. it will take a bit longer but you will really be able to get what you want. At minimum a body, the 80mm and 2 backs is a good start (i like having a B&W and a color back loaded up). I would take a look at the ELM body. A lot of people dont like it since it is not a "pure" all mechanical body however this has kept the prices of them low and attainable. You can get a good 80mm C or C T* era lens for very reasonable (under 200 if you are patient) and backs can be had for $50-$75.

Regards
Dave

The ELM is nice, but like you said, they aren't fully mechanical. Doesn't mean that they are bad, but I just want a camera, that can be fixed if something breaks. Unfortunately, the older an electronic systems gets, the more difficult it becomes to get it fixed. Although, I don't know much about the electronics in the ELM, so I could be wrong. I also looked at the prices of each individual, and it doesn't seem like I would save much.

Oh, and I also got a reply from the seller. So the camera is from 2002, however he purchased it completely new in 2005. As of now, the most he got offered for it is 2100 euros. So right now I'm thinking about going in for 2200 euros, since it is an "older" system, so it probably needs a CLA. Although, I do wonder if he got offered that much. :D

I totally understand what you are saying about the ELM's. But the truth is that the people who can service these cameras are slowly passing on with time. Unfortunately few people from the younger generation are joining their ranks and thus these trades are dying. Ill admit I have tried to fix this kind of stuff a few times but the truth is I am no master, not even an apprentice. Either way the ELM does provide a nice way to break into the blad system for a bit less than its all mechanical counterparts. I would say the ELM has no more or less special parts than the all mechanical V cameras and as long as corrosion is avoided they will last just as long. Since you can run them on a 9V battery with proper converter they are still more than useable.

I would say there is a slim chance he has been offered that (the real question being why didn't he sell it) but who knows. Thats a fairly new system either way, in the nature of 20 years newer than my C/M so you may not need a CLA. While a CLA is never a bad thing if the foam is in good shape and everything is working nicely I would shoot a few rolls with it then send it off. Good luck with it all! Let us know how it goes.

Regards
Dave

Sorry for the late reply! For some reason it always took this guy a week to reply. And every time he replied to one of my messages, the price went up. Unfortunately, I haven't found any other good deals, so I decided to go with the Mamiya RB67 Pro SD. While it might be a lot heavier and even less suitable for street photography than the Hasselblad, it is still a nice "little" camera with superb optics (from what I have read and heard). And since the Mamiya is a lot cheaper than the Hasselblad, I have enough cash left to get myself an enlarger that can do 4x5, and of course a large format camera along with it.

Dave, I really wanted to thank you for all your input! Really helped me out a lot! Even though I decided to go with another system for now, I will definitely get a Hasselblad sometime in the future and this thread will help me out quite a bit! And sorry again for the late reply! :D

Sounds like you ended up with some solid gear in the end anyway! Im excited to hear about the results.

The blads are nice and the prices are always coming down. There are plenty out there so there is always tomorrow.

Dave

Most reactions

Back