need help with ideas please

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was so eager to go out and take photos with my new DSLR, but i didnt know what to do or where to go, im kind of tired of doing lake shots of the lake i live on.

there doesnt seem to be anything else around me to take pictures, unless i want to look like a terrorist or someone looking to invade privacy and things like that, the people around me are very paranoid

im going to call the mall tomorrow before i go to see if theyll let me shoot inside the mall

pictures around the house?

Drive around and get lost. (Make sure you bring a map to get yourself unlost :) ) Thats what I do. Some of my best photos come from places I never would have found if i tried.

Drive around and get lost. (Make sure you bring a map to get yourself unlost :) ) Thats what I do. Some of my best photos come from places I never would have found if i tried.
thats a good idea but i get very paranoid and scared when im lost

"There are ten interesting things to photograph within ten feet of you at all times."

Maybe you need to start thinking differently.
Maybe you should spend some time browsing Flickr, looking at all the different things people see, and expand your mind.

"There are ten interesting things to photograph within ten feet of you at all times."

Maybe you need to start thinking differently.
Maybe you should spend some time browsing Flickr, looking at all the different things people see, and expand your mind.
i do notice the little things other people would either ignore or not find worth looking or not artistic wheni would find it artistic. im currently trying to find my niche.

which is so far abstract and landscapes

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams
EDIT: OK i know that didn't answer your question, but really. Get lost!(Not in the common meaning :))
I mean go around and so on. Most of my best photos are those, when I look at the absolute other way all other people with cameras look.
O, and never copy any photos. Try to create or open your own authentic style.

Last edited:
go photog some paranoid southerners
lol. i know a perfect place to go to for that, theres a little historical town near me about 5 minutes away, ill take a walk around there and see what i can get

You just need a fresh perspective. Here's some ideas off the top of my head...

Get on your knees, butt or stomach, look around, and start shooting stuff from angles you hadn't noticed before. Now go somewhere else and do it again. Shoot a whole playground from a kid's point of view - a very little kid. See everything towering over you from dirt level. Get to the top of the slide or climbing structures for a better overall view down on the playground, looking down the slide, looking down the ladder - capture a few smiles while you're at it. Get some long-shutter action shots of the merry-go-round, then get them from a position ON the merry-go-round.

Start looking at shapes of things and how they fit together, rather than what they are. Look around for squares and circles and triangles, cubes and spheres and pyramids and cylinders. Find ways to emphasize their shape, rather than their faces and names - disconnect them from 'who' they are.

Find piles of similar objects and fill the frame with them; Tires, nails, screws, people, rocks, leaves - anything. Get tuned in to how they fit together. Place an odd object amongst them and shoot again to emphasize the difference with light, shadow, size, color or whatever way you can figure out to do it.

Do self portraits - by putting the camera in strange places that look up, down or out at you - from the fridge, the dryer, the closet, under the table, hung up in the corner of a room. Reposition some furniture so that the back of a chair is on the floor, then 'sit' in it and shoot the room 'sideways'. Get really creative and put a bunch of stuff sideways as though the wall is the floor and try it again.

Go get one of your friends and get shots of them in mid-air as they jump as high as they can. from various things against various backgrounds. Better yet, get a whole bunch of friends to do it in unison, at your direction. Practice now so that you can do it with whole bridal parties later. :p

It's all around you - interesting stuff is everywhere - begging for you to shoot it. So shoot it! ;)

You just need a fresh perspective. Here's some ideas off the top of my head...

Get on your knees, butt or stomach, look around, and start shooting stuff from angles you hadn't noticed before. Now go somewhere else and do it again. Shoot a whole playground from a kid's point of view - a very little kid. See everything towering over you from dirt level. Get to the top of the slide or climbing structures for a better overall view down on the playground, looking down the slide, looking down the ladder - capture a few smiles while you're at it. Get some long-shutter action shots of the merry-go-round, then get them from a position ON the merry-go-round.

Start looking at shapes of things and how they fit together, rather than what they are. Look around for squares and circles and triangles, cubes and spheres and pyramids and cylinders. Find ways to emphasize their shape, rather than their faces and names - disconnect them from 'who' they are.

Find piles of similar objects and fill the frame with them; Tires, nails, screws, people, rocks, leaves - anything. Get tuned in to how they fit together. Place an odd object amongst them and shoot again to emphasize the difference with light, shadow, size, color or whatever way you can figure out to do it.

Do self portraits - by putting the camera in strange places that look up, down or out at you - from the fridge, the dryer, the closet, under the table, hung up in the corner of a room. Reposition some furniture so that the back of a chair is on the floor, then 'sit' in it and shoot the room 'sideways'. Get really creative and put a bunch of stuff sideways as though the wall is the floor and try it again.

Go get one of your friends and get shots of them in mid-air as they jump as high as they can. from various things against various backgrounds. Better yet, get a whole bunch of friends to do it in unison, at your direction. Practice now so that you can do it with whole bridal parties later. :p

It's all around you - interesting stuff is everywhere - begging for you to shoot it. So shoot it! ;)
i did do a playground photoshoot once in photography class back in high school, i got a very interesting shot of one of those twisting tube slides, looking down from the entrance and watching it twist down to the right, and at the bottom where to sun was shining at it you can see it get brighter as you get lower down the slide, then you can see the rings that go around the tube, i wonder if i get that from film to digital and show you

Most reactions

Back