Need help with intra-oral photos

Sergey718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot G5X and I'm having issues with color reproduction. I used a grey card to set a custom WB, no change. I don't use any special lenses, and I use the flash that is part of the camera.

Some of my settings:
1) I shoot in AV Mode
2) ISO set to Auto
3) Macro
4) Flash set to Zero
5) ND filter - Auto
6) Evaluative
7) My colors - Off
8) Dr correction - Auto
9) Shadow correction - Auto

Please see attached photo.

Please help.

TIA

Attachments

• 14-468-Progress 3-Custom 2 over 3.jpg
    14-468-Progress 3-Custom 2 over 3.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 193
I thought I've seen a thing or two, but this is definitely one fetish I've never heard of.

I thought I've seen a thing or two, but this is definitely one fetish I've never heard of.

LOL. I'm an orthodontist. We take photos throughout treatment for the purposes of diagnosis, treatment planning, and of course, documentation. It's always nice to have quality photos to show parents the before/after treatment results.

LOL. Whatever man, whatever tickles your pickle. :)

If you just want it to be appealing (rather than absolutely accurate) you can probably just use a bright part of the teeth as a white point reference. What software are you using to process these images?

It's my dental practice management software that I use to crop the photos. I need accurate reproduction of tooth characteristics + bite. I just don't understand why they are all pink.

Last edited:
You can afford it...don't be cheap
Most Orthodontists I deal with use at least a rebel class camera with a macro lens and macro ring light.
You can't just use a greycard, you need a proper colour management system.
Preferably something like a colourchecker passport.

Guys. Come on. Look at the photos. Illumination seems suitable to what he's after here, and a ring flash will only help so much.

If he's happy with the clinical end results here, then all he needs is a good white point. He *certainly* does not need a full CMS system!

........... I used a grey card to set a custom WB, no change...........

My first question is what did you do the set up the custom WB (besides selecting it... you can't just choose it and it magically knows how to adjust itself).

On my screen though the teeth look too cyan, which would by contrary to what you're seeing if they're too pink.

My guess is that your monitor needs to be adjusted. I'm not at my PC, so I cannot sample the color ATM.

I did. The photos lack sharp focus with the current setup. If you look at the article I posted it has a workaround for the gear he is still using. Macro on a P&S for the most part is just a "we will get you closer" not macro.

........... I used a grey card to set a custom WB, no change...........

My first question is what did you do the set up the custom WB (besides selecting it... you can't just choose it and it magically knows how to adjust itself).

I used a grey card to calibrate a custom white balance.

Guys. Come on. Look at the photos. Illumination seems suitable to what he's after here, and a ring flash will only help so much.

If he's happy with the clinical end results here, then all he needs is a good white point. He *certainly* does not need a full CMS system!

I feel like if we could resolve the color issues and work a little more on the operator end, the quality of the photos will definitely improve. One of the reasons I've stayed away from the more complex equipment, is that it increase risk of damage in an office where multiple staff member handle the camera.

I used a grey card to calibrate a custom white balance.

I understand you did something. But what steps did you take to 'calibrate' it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back