Need help with large groups

amandamuns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently was asked to take a photo for a large group of British Soldiers in their Mess Dress, there were some high ranking people there so it had to be quick. No time for test shots, so everything was on AUTO. The room was short so I couldn't back up as far as I wanted to. The problem that I had was that I couldnt get all their faces in focus. Please let me know what I could do next time to get a better shot. This is being printed out as a 16x12. Thanks for your help. This one is unedited.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/muns15/IMG_0691.jpg

1st, lighting. got to make sure that it your subject(s) are well lit. Then stop down your lens to something like f/16 +/- a stop and focus on the middle row.

good luck

I don't think i can see any face in focus, there is not much chance of getting a good shot with that lighting, you would have been better arranging them closer together in an arc

the problem is they had everything set up and refused to change any of the setting. the lights were individually controlled by rows, but I could not change them. The major problem was that you have high ranking people in there and 1 person that is in charge of the event set up so my hands were tied and I couldn't change anything. I tried just focusing on the guy in the middle back row but it made everyone in the front really blurry. I had about 3 minutes with everyone in there to take the shot.

Are you able to setup some additional lights inside the room before hand?

the problem is they had everything set up and refused to change any of the setting. the lights were individually controlled by rows, but I could not change them. The major problem was that you have high ranking people in there and 1 person that is in charge of the event set up so my hands were tied and I couldn't change anything. I tried just focusing on the guy in the middle back row but it made everyone in the front really blurry. I had about 3 minutes with everyone in there to take the shot.

I would have focus half way down the side rows, no i would have told them it is not possible and walked out, it wouldn't bother me how high ranking they are i'm taking the photo and if they will not move to have the photo taken it's not worth taking

1st, lighting. got to make sure that it your subject(s) are well lit. Then stop down your lens to something like f/16 +/- a stop and focus on the middle row.

good luck

IgsEMT always says it best, lighting is key. For a shot on Auto with the lighting you had, it isn't horible, it was the best you were going to get out of it. I'd definetely think of purchasing a good flash for when you get stuck in situations like this.

Thanks everyone for your input. Glad to hear it isnt Horrible. Since then I have purchased a Speedlite for the sticky situations. I think that will be the last time that I do something like that because they are not easy to work with. Thanks every1.

Most reactions

Back