Need Help With Lens For Real Estate

PhotoJeff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the photography world and am finding that I rather enjoy it. I work in real estate and have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with a 18-55 mm factory lens. I come across several instances where I need to take pictures of smaller rooms and this lens just isn't cutting it. I need a wide angle lens with auto focus feature that lets me take clear pictures of smaller rooms.

I've looked into this a little and one place I came across mentioned the Sigma 10-22mm wide angle lens is preferred with real estate photographers. Does anybody have any thoughts they can pass my way either regarding the Sigma lens or a different lens that's easy on the budget but will work with my camera and do what I need it to do? Any help with where I can purchase from would be great as well. Thanks.

Jefferson

Hello, I'm new to the photography world and am finding that I rather enjoy it. I work in real estate and have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with a 18-55 mm factory lens. I come across several instances where I need to take pictures of smaller rooms and this lens just isn't cutting it. I need a wide angle lens with auto focus feature that lets me take clear pictures of smaller rooms.

I've looked into this a little and one place I came across mentioned the Sigma 10-22mm wide angle lens is preferred with real estate photographers. Does anybody have any thoughts they can pass my way either regarding the Sigma lens or a different lens that's easy on the budget but will work with my camera and do what I need it to do? Any help with where I can purchase from would be great as well. Thanks.

Jefferson

instead of the Sigma look at the Canon 10-18
sharper, cheaper, ($199 refurbished)

and don't forget lighting (flash w/remote trigger) and a tripod are important for rooms

And software that can correct for lens distortion.

We just put a house up on the market and my real estate agent uses an acomplished real estate photographer.

We just put a house up on the market and my real estate agent uses an acomplished real estate photographer.
Some clown in a top-hat smoking a see-gar? ;)
I'll let you know if it takes very long to sell the house. She is too busy selling real estate to bother with the photography so she has a photographer who does it for her. The real estate agency pays for it not me so I don't care. But from looking at the photos his see-gar is a sharp ultra wide and he knows how to correct distortion. :biggrin-new:

I'm just an amateur photographer, and now that I'm retired, I've considered RE photography a number of times in the past 3-4 years. Other than doing a quick shoot for a friend a year ago whose agent posted out of focus, poorly lit cell phone photos of his house, I have never done any RE photography.

However, my research has shown me a number of truths:
1. Real Estate photography is just as much of an 'art' as is any other aspects of photography. Thinking it's merely 'take a lot of shots and post them' is a major mistake. The online photos in the RE listing can make the difference of whether a potential buyer decides to make a drive by or click on the next home listing.
2. Like everything else, including photography, it's practice, practice, practice.
3. As in all photography, lighting is most important. Some high-end RE photographers use multiple flashes to effectively light a room.
4. Contending with outdoor lighting while shooting inside gets tricky...especially when it's dark outside or overly bright, as on a sunny day with snow cover.
5. Shooting exterior shots requires paying attention to where the shadows on the house are. Shooting my friends house required 3 trips until I got full sun on the front of the house and could shoot it without the utility pole and wires in his front yard being obvious.
6. Proficiency in post processing is required.
7. Realizing that many RE agents are satisfied with using their cellphone for pictures in the listing makes pricing your work even at $10/hr difficult. For an average 2-3 bedroom house and yard, figure at least 1-2 hours on site, if not more. Then add in 5 minutes post processing time for EACH photo you took...doesn't matter if you delete it or not, figure 5 minutes. Would an agent be willing to pay you $100 for your work? Would you accept $50 as someone else may charge those kind of prices. Don't forget to count the cost of gas for your car to get there and back, as well as meet with the agent, arranging a time with the owners when the house will be freshly cleaned and going there at THEIR convenience. And if you really want to go crazy, amortizing the cost of your camera gear, computer and software, into your pricing.
8. Have zero expectation on EVER getting called by an agent wanting to use your services. I have an acquaintance that's an RE agent, so my first attempts would be with her. As homes in 'her' area are priced in the $100K to $400K range, I don't think she'd be afraid of paying $100...after the house sells and she gets her money. I'd probably spend 10-12 hours altogether in doing the shoot and editing the pix. Getting called by agents that don't know you is the hard part, as they may already have photographer friends THEY might be using.
9. And the odds of getting a Better Homes & Gardens level of home shoot? Or even a million dollar home shoot? LESS THAN ZERO! THOSE agents use high end professional photogs that probably charge $10,000 for the shoot...and that is still less than the cost of their gear!

I'm amazed that with all the responses there was only one person who actually addressed my question. As for the interest in telling people there is no money in real estate photography and that no realtor will be calling for services, well I am the realtor and I shoot my own properties. Per my first posting, I am just looking for a wide angle lens for small rooms. Maybe only one person on here has the technical expertise to provide an answer. I'm not sure. But thanks for posting anyway.

I'm amazed that with all the responses there was only one person who actually addressed my question. ......

Do you think that only 'gear' makes usable images?

I'm amazed that with all the responses there was only one person who actually addressed my question. ......

Regardless of my thoughts on gear and usable images, the only question I asked about had to do with a lens that fits my camera and where to purchase. There was nothing pertaining to taking quality pictures or how the business fairs or anything else.

Regardless of my thoughts on gear and usable images, the only question I asked about had to do with a lens that fits my camera and where to purchase. There was nothing pertaining to taking quality pictures or how the business fairs or anything else.
I usually try not to repeat myself but...http://photographyforrealestate.net/lenses/

I would suggest you buy your choice of lens from a photography store.

The lens options have already been mentioned, but I'll add some info.

With that wide of lens it will give you the best option to get most of the room.
But you'll also have to deal with some distortion such as unstraight lines, where outer walls are leaning in. Thus you'll have to correct for those distortions. Here's a few misc articles.
==> Perspective Distortion In Real Estate Photography
==> Three Classic Problems New Real Estate Photographers Need To Deal With

FYI, I used to do this for ReMax back in the day when I used a Polaroid instant pic (the peel the film variety) and created brochures. Have times changed. I've done a couple from time to time for friends too with modern equipment.

Have fun, there's a lot to learn. For more of the room to be in focus you'll need to use a small Aperture .. such as f/22 or greater (40 if you have it on the lens to experiment with). But that will also create lighting problems and compensate with higher ISOs and/or longer exposures. You'll have to figure out what works best for you and the particular room depth.

Canon 10-18mm STM is the obvious choice in my opinion. It will allow you to photograph any size room.

See this is what makes a forum like this so great. You can get info on the question you asked and additional knowledge on topics you didn't think to ask.

TPF! TPF! TPF!

Why am I the only one chanting?...........Oh I give up on you people.

:801:

Most reactions

Back