need help with lighting

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cornfield girl, Feb 14, 2007.

1. cornfield girl

cornfield girl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    I've been taking pictures of my friends that play in band called Promise To Burn. But when they play they always dim the lights and use a light show. it's making it impossible to take good pics. Any suggestions? Anything would help! I was standing a good distance back on a balcony when taking this pic.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Shooting bands/concerts is one of the most challenging things to shoot. The problem here appears to be that your flash is too weak. What camera are you using? The flash on most small cameras is only rated for 10-15 feet.

You could try turning up the ISO setting...but that will introduce noise into the image. This could probably be salvaged in photoshop or something like that...it won't be perfect though.

3. cornfield girl

cornfield girl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was using a fujifilm digital. And to be honest i didn't know that i had an ISO setting on my camera. But sure enough...it's there. thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time. I've been playing around with photoshop. I'm still kinda in the learning and experimenting stage.:wink:

4. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With live shots you need to keep shutter speed high, so in low light ISO will cause a lot of noise, you could always shoot raw ( digital camera setting ) and Photoshop will Auto balance for you, or you can adjust brightness, contrast and saturatin manually, when you shoot jpeg, these options are less affective, so maybe try some RAW shoots, but carry a few memory cards as these files are a lot bigger than Jpeg as your not using cameras conversions, enjoy Steve