NEED HELP WITH NEW CAMERA PLEASE

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by birdman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. birdman

birdman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, i got a Sony a300 a month ago but now considering the canon 450D or 1000D. Could someone please help me with this. which one is the better camera?
    I'm going tomorrow to get one but don't know!!!
    Or would i be better of sticking with the Sony? with its built in stabilisation. The only thing that bothers me with the Sony is the noise levels at and above ISO 400.
    I like low light photography but find this may get in way.
    Also I want to invest in a good system.
    Any recommendations would be great.
    Thank you

PS its 01:08am here so i'm of to bed.
    Thanks guys, Night Night

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well between 450d and 1000d I say 450D. It's a little better than 1000d

4. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should get the 450d if you want to go with canon.

5. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

If you're interested in good performance at high sensitivities, an entry-level camera may not be the way to go. That seems to be one of the areas where you really get what you pay for.

This (unscientific) test suggests that the XSi (450D) beats the A200, but not by much. The A300, I can only assume, is the same or better. If you want Canon, go for it (I'm in the process of switching systems as well, but not to Canon), but don't expect much improvement in high ISO performance.

Are you really so unsatisfied after a month that you're ready to drop all this cash just on changing brands?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. ypperin

ypperin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have you attempted it with NR on? I'm assuming the A300 (like the A350) would have that in the menu as well. I haven't noticed a significant increase in noise in low light here, mind you I'm not shooting in the dark either..... in fact I've found my A350 quite capable of handling what I need it to do.

7. KD5NRH

KD5NRH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also, shoot RAW or RAW+JPG, and use the included Image Data Converter software to convert the RAWs and make sure you have the noise reduction in it turned on.

Another option is to add more light so you're never having to go past ISO400. I don't get significant noise until 1600, but I tend to stick to 400 and under unless I really need the shuteer speed higher than I can get it at the lower ISOs.

8. birdman

birdman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi people.
    Thanks for the help!!!
    After looking at all the posts and thinking it over, yes, i think I should just stick with what I have at the moment. after comparing ISO on them, the margin is so low.
    I will stick with Sony until I have the money for a good camera system.
    Thank you for your help :thumbup:

9. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that's probably a good choice, might as well stick with what you have. It's tough to tell why you are experiencing this noise without seeing it in photos, but I will say that in at 800 and higher (except in much higher end bodies) do tend to start showing noise. However, there are other things you can do to work around noise. For one thing, noise tends to show up more in darker areas of the photo, or in poorly focused photos.

One thing you can do is you a software program such as noise ninja, neat image, or noiseware professional to make the images more useful. I found with my XT (2 generations older than the 450D) that those programs make the ISO 800 perfectly usable, and the ISO 1600 usable particularly on the web.

10. birdman

birdman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will post a couple of pictures later. At the moment im useing this picture cooler http://denoiser.shorturl.com/ a locked version is at this site but if you like it you can unlock it.
    how is that noise ninja program and is there other good editing softwear?

11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they are both pretty good... the best stuff I have found (and what I personally use) is Imagenomic Noiseware.

but in any event, using that sort of software should make ISO 800 generally usable. It might be a little less so if you are shooting in a very dark environment which will show the noise more than in a lighter environment.

12. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I think this is wise. You were getting ready to spend lot of money on something that wouldn't have improved your equipment by any measurable quantity. If you want to switch to the Canon system, wait until you can make an upgrade (40D/50D or 5D).