Need help with Nikon D50

moonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I just got a Nikon D50 and I am trying to set the white balance. The problem is that on the menu; white balance is gray like it is locked, and I cannot select white balance. Is there anyway to unlock this feature?

Thanks in advance

White balance can only be adjusted in P, S, A, and M modes only. Any of the other modes it is in Auto. You don't have to go to menu to change it either. There is a WB button to the left of the screen. Press it and rotate the comand dial and the top info screen will show WB in the bottom.

P, S, A, and of course M modes gives the user the most control of the camera.

I'm not sure as I don't have a D50, but it could be that you are shooting in a mode other than manual mode. I believe that if I shoot in other modes than manual I can't change the white balance. See if that works for ya. If not, sorry. Good luck.

JOhn

Yea I got a D50 and your in Different mode probably auto just turn the dial one more and get P but I use M mode to get the most control. Nothing is wrong with it

Thanks guys, I put it in manual mode and now I can use the white balance. I am a complete noob so I will probably need more help down the road. I appreciate the help.:wink:

Also, go into Menu, go to the wrench icon, then go to CSM/Setup Menu and set it to Detailed. That unlocks a lot of features in the menus that are normally not available, like setting your flash power if you have an older, non-cpu lens that that nightmare of a Series E you see in my profile.... Nikon walked me through that one.

I am having trouble setting up my camera. I am trying to take professional looking photos of product. I built a light box according to this: http://thadallender.com/2008/02/12/do-it-yourself-lightbox/

It says:

"7. Set your camera’s white balance on the incandescent setting (the light bulb).

8. If shooting small products (lets say less than 6 inches tall), then set your camera on macro focus"

My problem is if I set the camera on the macro focus, I can not set the white balance.

Basically, I want my photos to look like this:
370907_Mint_Green.gif

But they look like this:
boltz.jpg

Could you please help me set up my camera?

id say lighting get some major light on there and they probably edited the background out

Most reactions

Back