Need help with portrait technique & retouching

l.v.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! Happy to be here.

I took this last night at the beach. I know there is noise in the shadows from how the sensor strains to see the detail but this looks crazy. Check out her cheek, chin, & nose. It's mottled & different tones. Usually I can spot remove, smooth, hsl sliders, &/or reduce redness but this is extremely stubborn. I know I can avoid this with a reflector or flash but any insight on why this happened other than the fact that she's backlit with her face in the shadow & how would you go about retouching it? I'm learning photoshop(Happy for tips!) & I've got a decent handle on light room. I'm a natural light photographer & like to keep it simple as far as gear goes but would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

ISO 100
F 2.8
1/640
50mm
5dmii
IMG_4710.jpg

It looks like normal noise as a result of under-exposed areas which have been pushed in post. Unfortunately, there's very little that can be done with this after the fact, that will still result in a decent image, that is.

My attempt at editing it.

Disclaimer: This is the way I edit, not the only way to do it :D

Increased exposure
Desaturated red and yellow
Added warm soft light to the face
Burn shadows in hair and areas away from the light

The image has a lot of chroma noise and banding. You can try reducing color noise in Photoshop.

Untitled-1.jpg

any insight on why this happened other than the fact that she's backlit with her face in the shadow
Hi yourself!

Your camera tried to average the exposure between the bright areas and the shadow areas. Next time meter for the subject's face and let the background go.

By "natural light", I presume that means you cannot (will not) allow any modification of whatever light is available.

I say that takes some particularly strong self-discipline to avoid doing what other photographers would do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back