Need help with the mirror up setting?

FallenFotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I have been taking photos with my D200 for awhile now and I really dont understand the setting you can use that puts your mirror up before taking the picture making you press the button twice i really dont understand the point of it. Is it for night shots or sports I really dont understand, so does anyone know???

It's meant for good telephoto technique, and shutter speeds in the 1/2-1/15th area.

The mirror lock-up allows you to reduce vibration which can hurt images from using very long telephoto lenses. For everything else, 1/2-1/15th of a second is where much of the cameras internal vibrations ate clanking around, because you have a mirror that swings up and down. You feel these vibrations every time you shoot a picture. mirror lock up puts the mirror up, so the only thing that's moving is the shutter curtain, which actually produces very little vibration at all.

Ha finally some right information on this topic. When hearing the usual barrage of clueless miss-information some people blabber on about this topic some of the classics are "you need mirror lockup for night photos" or "you can't get a sharp picture without mirror lockup"

Nah as was said 1/2 to about 1/15th depending on the tripod you mount it on is where you want to use this. Mind you the D200 has an internal option to suppress vibrations. Function setting D5 - Exposure Delay Mode, will lock the mirror up for about 1/2 a second before exposing, and it only needs one click of the shutter. Set this if you will be shooting in the mentioned shutter speed range continuously for a while.

Or you get a Rangefinder camera that doesn't have a mirror which needs to be moved for shooting - only the shutter.

:p

When using Mirror Lock Up, you are trying to reduce the movement of the camera as much as possible. It is pointless to use MLU unless you are already using a tripod and remote release (or self timer).

Ok well cool thats really good to know i do shoot long shots of usually mountians so i will try this thanks aot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back