Need Help

Oldschool92'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I recently obtained a Vivitar XC-3 for free. I took it into a local camera shop and had it looked at for free. The guy said the shutter works fine and the lenses are in good shape and so is the body of the camera. He did say however that the sensor on it was "toasted.":grumpy: He also said that he could replace it, clean up the camera, and lube what needs it all for $44. So what my question is, do you think its worth paying for the repairs, or, should I invest in a different 35mm camera?

These are just rebadged Cosina bodies; they're decent consumer-grade film bodies, but nothing special. I'm assuming by 'sensor' you mean the light-meter? The price for the CLA (Clean/Lube/Adjust) seems very reasonable to me, BUT unless you have a lot of gear to go with it, or this particular camera means something special to you, I'd probably invest in something a little more mainstream. You can pick up a used Pentax ME Super and bag o' lenses for <$150 on 'sites like Craig's List which will offer you better quality and a LOT more versatility.

Alternatively you could spend $20 and buy an inexpensive hand-held light-meter.

Yeah that's what I meant, couldn't remember what he said exactly. Oh okay I have read several articles that have said Vivitar doesn't make any of the parts themselves but instead contracts out to other companies and then put their name on it, is this true? I have a few accessories that go with it. A Vivitar Auto Tele converter, Tokina RMC 80-200mm lens, and a Auto Exposure Control Module. This camera was purchased brand new in 1978 by my aunt. I have all the original manuals, warranties, and even have the owners records for each of the accessories except for the Tokina lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back