need help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tab, Jan 2, 2007.

1. tab

tab TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently have a Nikon s4 digital camera and am trying to take pictures of our fish in our aquarium but most are coming out blurry, any suggestions?

2. jlbrew3

jlbrew3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The key with point and shoot cameras in this kind of shot is lighting. Try setting up some lights outside the aquarium or adjusting your camera to take a picture at a faster shutter speed or lower aperture. Also, a higher ISO (if your camera can adjust this, I am not familiar with your particular model) would possibly solve your problem.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm just guessing...but the blurring is probably due to your shutter speed being too slow. Can you check the setting that were used for the shots?

The solution is to add more light. You can place some lamps or something above the tank. You might be able to use the flash on your camera but you will have to be careful about reflections...maybe place the camera right up against the glass. On-camera flash is not the best solution...the light just doesn't make the subjects look too good...but it may help until you can figure out something better.

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does the camera have a special icon that suggests you can switch it to some sort of "macro" mode so you'd be able to capture things much closer by? On mine (which is a different brand) that icon is a flower, and when I push that button, the flower also shows on my screen and indicates that I am in "macro" or "close-up" mode.

Other than that the blurriness might as well be camera shake since there is not enough light in your fish tank and the camera therefore requires you to take the photos with far too long exposure times for you to steadily handhold them?

If it is the second, you could look for something that you can set up close to the fish tank (a stack of big books, for example), so you can rest the camera on there, then put it on timer, push the button and wait (without touching the camera further!) for it to take its own photos.

Watch out for the auto focus. It might also want to focus on the GLASS of the fishtank and not on the fish inside!

Let us know if it worked.
    With digital you are lucky: you can try and try and try :D.

5. tab

tab TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it is the auto focus, it is adjusting to the glass instead of the fish inside. I tried a fast shutter speed and it helped a little. I was thinking of purchasing the Nikon D80 or D70 but I'm not sure, any imput

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D80 or D70 are certainly great cameras.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

If your camera provides for manual focus then you need to switch to that. If the camera doesn't have manual focus then the answer might be a new camera. The lighting can't really be solved by on-camera flash. As Mike mentioned, you will need to put an external lighting source, flash or continuous, above the top of the tank.